It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:32 am 

Hello,
I've installed Classic Shell on our Terminal Server and spread the settings for Classic Shell with GPOs (i'm changing the registry keys for the user).
But every user can see the settings window on the first run of Classic Shell although the registry keys are set.

Is there any way to disable the settings window at first start?

Thanks in advance
Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:42 am 

If you are running Classic Shell 3.6.x, create a DWORD value called "ShowedStyle" in HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to 1.
If you are running Classic Shell 4, there is a Group Policy setting called Menu style under Computer Configuration branch.

You can also choose to edit registry directly instead.
For a single user account which is currently logged in, create a DWORD value called "ShowedStyle2" in HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to 1.

For the HKLM branch (which affects all users), to suppress the initial opening of the settings, create a new string value MenuStyle_Default in HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to "Classic1", "Classic2" or "Win7" depending on which style you want to be the default.

The menu must be restarted after changing registry settings. You can exit it from the command line using: "C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -exit

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:29 am 

GauravK wrote:
If you are running Classic Shell 4, create a DWORD value called "ShowedStyle2" in HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to 1.

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

The new version 4.0.1 is out. It has a feature to suppress the initial popup for selecting the style.
Create a new string value MenuStyle_Default in HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to "Classic1", "Classic2" or "Win7" depending on which style you want to be the default.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:56 pm 

I've installed Classic Shell 4.02 on our Terminal Server 2012 but every user can see the settings window on the first run of Classic Shell. How do I rectify this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm 

Did you create a new string value MenuStyle_Default in HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and set it to "Classic1", "Classic2" or "Win7" depending on which style you want to be the default for all users? Note the correct key: It should be in HKLM not HKCU, and under ..\ClassicStartMenu, not ...\ClassicStartMenu\Settings

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am 

I have created the reg key MenuStyle_Default in HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu and I am still having the issue of the setting pop up at user login. This is on a 2012 r2 RDS box.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Admin

You need to create a reg value, not a key. It needs to be a string with a value of "Win7" for example.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 am 

Sorry it is a value not a key...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu]
"MenuStyle_Default"="\"Classic2\""

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save the log file and send it to me.
I will see if I can reproduce this on a 2012 r2

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 pm 

I see that you are incorrectly putting the value data in double quotes. It should be without double quotes. Like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu]
"MenuStyle_Default"="Classic2"

Then you must log out and log in again to restart the Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 am 

Thanks, that fixed it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am 

Under [HKLM\Software\IvoSoft] I do not have the key ClassicStartMenu. The only key I have is "ClassicShell".

I manually entered the key "ClassicStartMenu" and the string "MenuStyle_Default" and the value as "Win7"

After restarting the server, still prompts first login user with the initial setup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Download the ClassicShellUtility from here: http://classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it and send me the log file.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 am 

I also have this issue:
Under [HKLM\Software\IvoSoft] I do not have the key ClassicStartMenu. The only key I have is "ClassicShell".

I manually entered the key "ClassicStartMenu" and the string "MenuStyle_Default" and the value as "Win7"

After restarting the server, still prompts first login user with the initial setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:55 am 

I made a ready-to-use reg file which you can simply run to merge the changes correctly: (It sets the default menu style to Windows 7 style). For changes to take effect, if the Start Menu is already running, you must restart the Start Menu by exiting it and starting it again or log off and logon again.

If this doesn't work, download and run the Classic Shell Utility as Ivo instructed in the above post and attach its log here.

Attachments:
MenuStyle_Default=Win7.zip [350 Bytes]
Downloaded 3981 times

Compare Start Menus