It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Start menu button
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:19 pm 

Can anyone tell me exactly which DLL this program is accessing to modify the start menu button in win 10? Or which dll the win 10 start menu button is kept in? Looks like they keep moving it around on us :P.

Post subject: Re: Start menu button
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm 

This program doesn't modify any system files. It hides inside the explorer process, and does its magic from there.. This way it doesn't stop the system from passing an sfc check, and doesnt cause any permanent damage.

Though IVO may know. so ill leave this Unsolved for them to try and give you an answer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:11 pm 

If you think Classic Shell simply modifies some system files to bring back the Classic Start Menu, you are mistaken. :) It is an independent program which uses its own code and files. The Classic Start Menu in Classic Shell is entirely its own work, a full re-implementation by Ivo of the original menu. In order to bind itself to the Win key, it injects itself into the Explorer.exe process.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 am 

I didn't think that it used the native windows start menu, however in the past the actual button could be changed by swapping bitmaps in DLLs - wasn't sure (till response) if this was doing that for that piece of this or not. What I was looking for was the name of the DLL containing the start button graphic so I could change it without using a program as I am building a reference image and was simply curious about the option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am 

Ah now I got what you were asking, sorry I have no idea if it's even a replaceable button in Windows 10 or which file has the button resources. Best to use Classic Shell to "replace" it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.