It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm 

Hi!

I've just recently reinstalled my operating system (Windows 7 Pro x64) and installed Classic Explorer (not Classic Start Menu) on the clean (but fully updated) install.

Primarily I was interested in the restoration of the "UP" button and the file size data in the status bar.

The UP button worked fine; I'm not too sure about the status bar. I did see the free space available, but not the size of the contents of selected folders.

I encountered a deal-breaking issue, however, with regard to the functionality of explorer itself, and I was hoping their might be a simple fix for this issue.

Basically, when I open an explorer window with more than a few folders in it; there is an uncomfortable waiting period before the contents of the folder can be accessed, or even viewed. When I then attempt to scroll the view to show more of the folder contents, it again freezes. I get both an hour glass pointer and alternatively a "not responding" title. This delay last a two to four seconds each time.

If I change focus away from that explorer window and then return; or attempt to open a sub-folder, it once again freezes up.

I tried disabling and uninstalling several other items I suspected may be causing the delay (the indexing service, and the other shell-enhancing application "WindowSpace" I installed about the same time, etc.) to no avail. Disabling (per command line instructions provided in another thread) and uninstalling Classic Shell did fix the problem.

I might point out that I did experience this issue on an external, portable Western Digital My Passport 2TB (for Mac) hard drive (formatted NTFS obviously) connected via USB 2.0; in case that matters. It's where I have been transferring all my data.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Sizes of folders are not supported, only files - just like in Windows XP.

When no files are selected, the status bar shows the total size. For that it needs the size of all files in the current folder. If the disk is slow to respond, it will take some time. However it should not be affected by scrolling.

Capture dumps as shown here: http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6
They can show what part is being slow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:28 pm 

I am getting the same issue with Classic Shell and Win 7 64-bit.

Open the 'explorer' window and it takes a few seconds to display the folders in the current window. Select on a folder and it takes several dozen seconds to show the folder contents in the right-hand pane.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

If Explorer itself is having problems, doesn't appear that your problem is related to Classic Shell. You can temporarily uninstall it to test if Classic Shell is related.