It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:31 am 

I got the Windows 10 anniversary update yesterday, and it removed Classic Shell, so I downloaded the latest build of Classic Shell last night (doing a malwarebytes scan to be sure it wasn't an infected version), did a complete reinstall, and then again today on boot up (I shut down at night) Windows 10 again removed Classic Shell saying it is incompatible, so I went to download Classic Shell again to reinstall it, and it apparently wasn't completely gone, because it simply prompted me to do a repair instead, and now it's back, which is great, BUT, Ideally, I'd like to not have to run a repair every single day for all of time, so, since I am an advanced windows user, can you please tell me what I need to edit in my registry or what else can be done to STOP WINDOWS 10 from seeing Classic Shell and removing it? So just tell me where to go and what to change and I'm on it. I was so sure I had disabled every place where my system sends info to Microsoft, but apparently there is still somewhere I have missed. I don't want to shut off windows update entirely, due to the need for security patches. I have a ton of services disabled and have uninstalled a ton of bloatware (groove and xbox and all those stupid bloat apps), and I'm more than willing to rip down Windows 10 to it's teeth to make Classic Shell work. I swear, I hate Windows 10 sometimes. I should be working on my CSS, instead I'm here fighting an update, it's a huge waste of my time and energy. Any suggestions are appreciated. Nothing is too technical, throw it at me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:37 am 

The best fix is to use Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. But if you insist on using Windows 10, make sure you are always using the latest version. Currently that's Classic Shell 4.3.0. And updates to Windows 10 can always remove it - that's just Microsoft being unreasonable citing some unexplained "compatibility" reason to remove it. They don't even bother to contact the developer informing what the incompatibility was, if they are removing it. So if despite using the latest version, Windows 10 is removing it then I guess the only way is to reinstall it. Microsoft made unacceptable changes to Windows and if you use it regardless that leaves with no incentive to stop doing such things.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am 

I've been reading that the enterprise version of Windows 10 allows you to better control update shenanigans. I'd rather shoot myself than use Windows 8. Windows 7 is solid, and I am seriously considering going back to it. BUT, I refuse to accept that there's no way to block this from happening on Windows 10.

I understand the anger you feel if this is your software, and Windows 10 is doing this without informing you of how to get it into compatibility, but there is also some responsibility of the software creator to keep up with the current operating systems requirements (I do understand your frustration and I am sure you are sick of answering this question by now). But certainly, aggressively telling a satisfied and happy customer of your software basically that "it's my problem if I want to use Windows 10" isn't very professional and does nothing to solve the problem. If you've written Microsoft to inquire as to what needs to be done to bring your program into compatibility, I'd much rather you tell me that you've submitted an inquiry with microsoft and are waiting for them to tell you how to fix the issue, and that your hands are tied, than being told that I'm stupid and part of the problem.

Gaurav wrote:
The best fix is to use Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. But if you insist on using Windows 10, make sure you are always using the latest version. Currently that's Classic Shell 4.3.0. And updates to Windows 10 can always remove it - that's just Microsoft being unreasonable citing some unexplained "compatibility" reason to remove it. They don't even bother to contact the developer informing what the incompatibility was, if they are removing it. So if despite using the latest version, Windows 10 is removing it then I guess the only way is to reinstall it. Microsoft made unacceptable changes to Windows and if you use it regardless that leaves with no incentive to stop doing such things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm 

It is kinda your problem (I know it shouldn't be) because windows will continue to remove old versions of classic shell for whatever reason, and all we can do is fix the issue on the next version of classic shell.
Most programs don't have this problem because they don't root themselves into the explorer process to get the job done :P they are encapsulated executables that are standardized and need very little to run

Also Im sure you have tried setting your connection to 'metered'? I hear that stops most of the updates (except 'security patches')

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:13 pm 

Jcee wrote:
It is kinda your problem (I know it shouldn't be) because windows will continue to remove old versions of classic shell for whatever reason, and all we can do is fix the issue on the next version of classic shell.
Most programs don't have this problem because they don't root themselves into the explorer process to get the job done :P they are encapsulated executables that are standardized and need very little to run

Also Im sure you have tried setting your connection to 'metered'? I hear that stops most of the updates (except 'security patches')

Except that I am using the most current version of Classic Shell, downloaded yesterday. I'll give it a week of reboots to "settle" and see if it stops removing it eventually. Anyway, I'm happily reinstalling daily until the next version of Classic Shell then. I'm willing to do it if it's the only way. I depend 100% on this fantastic program. Windows 10 is basically useless without it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:36 pm 

Remove classic shell completely with the classic shell utility, and try installing again?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ukeryzw41qpfz8/ClassicShellUtility.exe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

I have seen cases where in Windows 10 if you uninstall Classic Shell, it doesn't actually delete the files. Something is messed up with Windows Installer.
If that happens, un upgrade to new Classic Shell will not work.
The only way to upgrade is to use the Classic Shell Utility to manually uninstall Classic Shell, then install the new version.

I don't know if that is what is happening for you. Try the procedure, then report back if it worked.