It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Up Button in new window
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 am 

Hello.
When I open a window and use the Up Button (or the Level Up keyboard combination) the level up folder opens in the same window.
But I'd like to open it in new window. Maybe it is possible to add this option?
(I choose to fill all my desktop with open windows:)
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Hold down Control when you click on the button.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 am 

Thank you, Ivo.
But this is too difficult an operation for me. My fingers are too weak :)
Is this the only method?
Is there any possibility to add this as an option to the shell itself in order to change it by your wish? I mean - without the Ctrl buttton.
Maybe I want too much?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

The main purpose of the Up button is for navigation within the same window (just like the Back an Forward buttons). Opening a new window is a side feature, that's why it requires a modifier key like Ctrl.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm 

Okay.
Just I don't like when a window (that could contain highlighted files as example) closes itself (opening another folder) without my will.
I used to use it in Windows XP. It worked there (if this is on indeed).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:01 pm 

Ah I see. In Windows XP, Alpha-Centaur probably had the "Open each folder in its own window" option selected in Folder Options General tab. When "Open each folder in its own window" is set, in XP, if you press Up button on the toolbar or the Backspace key, it will open the parent folder in a new window without using Ctrl.

On Windows 7 too, I tried setting "Open each folder in its own window" and then pressed Alt+Up and indeed it opened in a new window without using Ctrl. So Classic Shell's Up button should open the parent folder in a new window without Ctrl if that option is set. The registry setting for that setting is described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... indow.html

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:31 pm 

Yes, exactly.
Using Backspace it opens in new window.
Using Classic Shell Up Button it opens in the same window.
Logicallly? I guess not.
Maybe Classic Shell Up Button should look at that Windows' parameter? If "Open each folder in new window" is dotted then open it in new window. As it is expected.

I tried to change register parameters using your link recommendations. It doesn't work for Classic Shell Up Button. Expectedly.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I tried this in Windows 8, and while Alt+Up does open a new window, the Up button doesn't. I'd rather keep the behavior consistent between the two versions.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am 

Hm, is there any possibility to make this adjustable?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 am 

But Windows 7 doesn't have an Up button. The Classic Shell Up button on Windows 7 can behave that way after checking that Windows setting. And therefore it can do so on Windows 8 too. MS also forgot the Ctrl+Up button functionality in Windows 8's Up Button. But Classic Shell's button still has Ctrl+Up functionality. That's why Classic Shell should also add this behavior. :)

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 pm 

Yes. Else why its name is CLASSIC?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I'd rather have a consistent behavior between Windows 7 and Windows 8.
As for the name, why doesn't Apple sell produce?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm 

@apple selling produce: well garbage is kinda like cabbage.. XD joking aside
the name classic shell really does imply the return of something 'classic' more than other names.., also brand names are generally less specific and out there than the products they are describing :P

although classic shell does bring back alot of classic features... its really up to you, (or any future developers) to pick and choose which features make the cut :P

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

Whatever Ivo decides is fine with me but I personally feel that because MS "has lost it completely" now in the UX department, they can do no right. The Windows 8 Up Button is a half-baked return of a feature and therefore it is Classic Shell's job to return full XP level of Up button functionality, especially if it's easily possible. There is no consistency between Ctrl+Up button behavior on Windows 8 - Windows 8's button still doesn't open the parent folder in a new window but Classic Shell's does, because it was designed to clone the behavior when MS used to get GUIs and usability right. :) Therefore, there is no reason to have consistent behavior between this feature too when "Open each folder in its own window" is set. In fact, it violates/ignores/overrides the Windows setting when the user clearly wants it to always open each folder in a new window.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 am 

i dont see why browsers dont have an up button.. it may require websites to supply a 'tree' of there site, but it would be pretty useful (and in alot of cases you can just crop part of the url off to go up)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:36 pm 

Jcee, what about this:

This is a screenshot of an old and unfairly forgotten browser by name iRider.
It has unique functions like the tabs on the left side.
I know some browsers can it too. But this one never closes them opening new page over already open (if configured).
No one else can that. All of them sometimes close open pages in order to open new.
And it is very useful when tabs are on the left side when your screen is 16:9. Its height is too low without tabs on the top.
You can see buttons: Up, Down, Parent etc.
Since Up and Down just navigate pages, Parent button acts like Windows XP's Up button here.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

BTW, you can very easily make your own toolbar button that opens the parent folder in a new window. Just set the command to:
explorer "%1\.."

The downside is that it follows the file system paths and not the shell namespace. It won't go from a drive like C: to Computer, or from Computer to Desktop.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:42 pm 

After looking into Irider, i do actually like how it saves a tree of the website based on the pages you visit, however it doesn't work with unvisited pages(although i believe that to be a limitation based on how the web is designed, and would be difficult to overcome without manually mapping the web (or allowing websites to supply their own map)

Irider treats the parents very similar to what the back button already does, although it does store an entire history tree, which works pretty well, and i wish would have been incorperated into modern browsers.

Following Iriders tree the parents to this page would be:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum >> http://www.classicshell.net/forum/search.php?search_id=unanswered>> this page

Following the forums built in/logical tree, the parents of this page would be:

Board index » Discussion » Classic Explorer >> this page

thanks for the link btw :P