It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:47 am 

I have a new computer that came with Windows 10 installed. I had used Classic Start Menu on my old Windows 8.1 computer, so I installed it on the new computer.

When I make changes to the settings they disappear as soon as I close the settings menu.

I found a similar question and answer here on a topic marked as closed, so I started this topic.

The response on the closed topic said

"References on the web indicated that this problem does come up with Windows 10, and there are several options that folks list that solved it. I found that it was fixed by ReRegistering the AppPackages."

I would like to know how to do the ReRegistering, please.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Are you talking about Classic Shell settings or general Windows settings?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 am 

Classic Shell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Are you clicking OK after you change the settings? If you click Cancel, press Escape, or click on the red X in the corner, the settings will be reverted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 am 

I do click only OK after making a change on every tab in which I make a change.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

What setting are you trying to change?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:22 pm 

By Tab:
Main Menu
show recent programs

Menu Look
small icon size 10
large icon size 10
No menu shadow
No menu glass
Customize Start Menu
Rearrange so in the right column, along with Shutdown Dialog is already there, add Control Panel, Help, Run

Skin
small icons

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

OK. So let's start with the first setting "Show recent programs".
Change it, don't close the settings dialog, then open the start menu - does the menu change to reflect the new setting?
Press OK, then open the start menu - does the menu show the new setting or the previous setting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:17 pm 

I sent you an email with the following statement

The previous setting - nothing showing in left column, but when I click on Programs there is an entry at the bottom of the 2nd (last) column, after a separator that says <No Text>. When I click on that I see 5 recent programs listed.

THAT IS INCORRECT

The entry <No text> is still there, but it is NOT showing the most recent programs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

OK, then I don't quite understand the problem. There may be more than one.
Let's first figure out if the settings work for you. Without closing the settings dialog, change the skin. See if the menu has the new skin. Then click OK and see if the menu still has the new skin or reverted to the old one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:15 pm 

You have been incredibly patient with me, for which I say a hearty THANK YOU! The first change I made was to select No Skins under the Skins tab. I made all the other changes I wanted and all but one change was made permanent. The only change I still would like to make is to have my recent programs shown. I modified the settings to bring the recent programs line from the right side to the left side. It shows on my start menu as <No Text> but does not show the recent programs I have used, but is showing what may be recently added programs. Is there a different menu pick to show recently opened programs?
Again thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so now we know this is not a generic problem with settings, but specific to the recent programs.
How do you want to see the recent programs? in the main menu or in the sub-menu?
Do you want really recent programs (the last few you started from the menu) or frequent problems (the ones you launch more often)?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:42 pm 

I prefer the main menu. I would like to see the last 5 programs I started from the menu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

OK, then remove the "recent items" item from the custom item settings. You only need it if you want a sub-menu for the recent items.
Set the "Show recent or frequent programs" in the main menu setting to "Recent programs".
Then start few programs from the menu. They should start appearing in the main menu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 pm 

I have followed all your instructions and the program is working as I had wished. Thank you again for your help and more for your patience!! :D