It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 am 

Hi,

it would be great to deactivate the "Charms Bar" touch gesture (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/charms#1TC=t1).
We use Windows 8 with a public touchscreen in kiosk mode. But everyone can open the bar with a swipe from the right edge and change system settings... :(

Is this possible?

Thanks and best regards
Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 am 

go to the "Windows 8 Settings" tab in classic start menu 3.6.5 (update if you dont have this ver), find "Disable active corners" and click ALL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 am 

thanks for your quick response!
unfortunately, this works for the active corner functions startet by mouse cursor. the touch gesture (swipe from the right edge) is still active regardless of the "Disable active corners" setting...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am 

oh sorry, figured it disabled it :P, dont have a touch monitor myeslf, but if that option doesnt do it, classic shell doesnt (yet atleast) sorry

this may be what your looking for http://www.howtogeek.com/127645/how-to- ... windows-8/, ifnot there were more links when googling : "deactivate charms bar gesture"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 am 

If you have a kiosk, it means it's a touchscreen? Is it possible it runs Windows 8 Embedded. For that OS, the touch gestures have separate registry values. See if these work: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1241 ... r-windows8 Of course, note that these are not related or supported by Classic Shell in any way, and may not work outside of Windows 8 Embedded. (Try logging off and logging back on after setting these reg values).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am 

FYI, the swipe edge actions also happen on laptop trackpads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:10 am 

Hmm. Looks like a way must be found to disable the touch gestures as well if possible. Do you have a multi-touch laptop trackpad or single point touch? I downloaded updated TouchPad drivers on my Windows 8 and now I have those gestures too for my single point touchpad. Look in the Mouse Control Panel to see if there is a way to disable the touch gestures - it is very likely that there will be a setting there to disable it. I have for my touchpad vendor but it can vary by manufacturer.

Here are two common touchpad vendors' control panels (integrated with the Windows mouse control panel)

I also found this for Synaptics touchpad:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-touchpad-gestures-in-windows-8/Now what would be awesome is if these trackpad gestures can also be disabled only on desktop and enabled in Metro.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 pm 

redhell wrote:
thanks for your quick response!
unfortunately, this works for the active corner functions startet by mouse cursor. the touch gesture (swipe from the right edge) is still active regardless of the "Disable active corners" setting...
Try this may convenient for............
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:07 am 

hi, I am using 8.1.

I am running a laptop linked to a touchscreen via HDMI.

I have managed to turn off the charm bar when activated by the laptop (corners and swipe of touchpad) - however, I can't stop them on the touchscreen . . . . . I 've spoken with Windows Help, they say it isn't possible . . . what a stupid feature.

I've downloaded classic shell - is there anything that this can do, doesn't look that way . . . . .

I want to use the set-up in a commercial envoronment, so defo do not want the charm bar!! I see there is some software I can buy to do this, but would prefer the free option if possible . . . .

Any ideas anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:28 am 

does your touchscreen have a driver (check control panel) You may be able to set it to ignore multi-touch
(Also, you MAY be able to install a different driver that does, but you would have to search for one that works on your device and supports the features.)
The recommended driver isn't always the only one that works :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am 

Jcee wrote:
does your touchscreen have a driver (check control panel) You may be able to set it to ignore multi-touch
(Also, you MAY be able to install a different driver that does, but you would have to search for one that works on your device and supports the features.)
The recommended driver isn't always the only one that works :P

no, because the touchscreen is attached by HDMI there is no/little control through the control panel - the only option showing was 'double click for right click' and 'hold to open' - there are no other options like there were with Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:53 am 

apples wrote:
no, because the touchscreen is attached by HDMI there is no/little control through the control panel - the only option showing was 'double click for right click' and 'hold to open' - there are no other options like there were with Windows 7.

Maybe you could try the newly released Winaero Charms Bar Killer: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.219 and see if it disables Charms on your HDMI-attached touch screen.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:13 am 

Jcee wrote:
go to the "Windows 8 Settings" tab in classic menu 3.6.5 (update if you dont have this ver), find "Disable active corners" and click ALL

Awesome response.. I am facing similar query and will now be able to solve it easily.. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:24 am 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795584 try this it worked for me disabled the charms swipe by doing what it tells you not to do calibrate your screen it will break the swipe to open charms might have to calibrate it a couple times for the issue to happen. though it seems if there is a way to break it into not working it should be simple to set up a setting to make it not work