It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm 

hi,

the icon is mostly showing in this game. can someone tell me if it is a classic shell related bug, scummvm or something else related?

it's really strange, it isn't showing on every game start, it's more random. but when it shows, then only in fullscreen mode.

i don't think it's because of graphics driver, i checked it with my ati video card and with my notebook(intel).

i have classic shell 3.6.7 and windows 8 64 bit installed.

sry for my bad english ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 pm 

it is a classic shell bug, it cropped up a while ago, and was thought to be squashed..

as for troubleshooting, try if possible setting the game to match your screens resolution (might not be possible from the look of it), and see if the bug re-appears..

otherwise the developer might be here soon with more info (and potentially fix it for the next version)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 am 

no i can't change the screen resolution, i can only set fullscreen to true or false in the ini. the only thing that helps at the moment is to exit the classic shell startmenu.

you guys can also check this game out for bugfixing, you can download it for free on http://www.gog.com/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

i hope this bug can be fixed :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I am unable to reproduce the problem with this game or previous games that were reported here. I tried on both Win7 and Win8, with different resolutions and taskbar positions.
Until I can make it happen reliably I can't fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:34 pm 

Oh man... I thought it would be reproducable :(

Maybe it's really a gpu driver problem? How I said, I tried it on my Desktop PC (ATI Radeon 7870 with Ati Catalyst 13.1 Driver) and on my Notebook(Intel 4500M with Windows 8 built in drivers).

Maybe you have a Nvidia GPU?

And you tried also to start the game multiple times right? Sometimes I get lucky where the icon won't show for 3 gamestarts in a row.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I have an Nvidia card. I tried multiple starts and also multiple switches between windowed and fullscreen mode.

I can try few things, but can't test them. If you are interested I can make a patch for you to try. I need to know which Windows version you are using.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 am 

Yes of course I would be interested in trying your patches :)

I am using the windows 8 pro 64 bit OS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:34 am 

Ivo if you want a game that reliably does this (at least for me) try "unreal world" at http://www.unrealworld.fi/
There are others but this one is very free.
My card is nvidia. No driver version has ever fixed the issue.
I'm running Windows 8 64bit

Anyway, just a some more breadcrombs for you to follow :)
Thanks and good luck tracking this one down!
Rush314

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am 

I can confirm it on my ati card, too. Like in "beneath a steel sky" it's not visible on every game start.

But in this case it's a litte bit different, here I can click on the icon and it throws me back to the Desktop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 am 

I was able to reproduce it in steel sky by pressing alt+escape to minimize the game (which locked my mouse to the top corner of the screen, so i had to tab my way back to the game) then the start button appeared

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:39 am 

Not to revive a dead topic, but I am seeing the shell icon in full screen applications too. I believe it has to do with resolution changes. Here is my setup and situation:

AMD Phenom II x4 810
2x4GB DDR2 800Mhz
nVidia GeForce 285 GTX
Windows 8

The PC is my HTPC in my living, it runs Plex Media Server and Media Center most of the time, but I also use it for Steam Big Picture Mode for playing games. It is connected to my receiver via HDMI, and the receiver outputs the video to my TV (also HDMI). Now if Plex or Steam big picture are running (full screen) and I shut my tv off, when I turn it back on, the shell icon is visible in the bottom corner of the full screen app. If I alt-tab to desktop, then back to Plex or Steam, it is no longer visible. I believe when the TV is off, the resolution is changing for whatever reason and this resolution change is what's causing the icon to display 'through' the full screen applications. I hope this helps you in figuring out exactly what's going on.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 pm 

Hey guys, i'm having here the exact same problem. In some games the start menu button keep showing itself within the game screen. Streets of Rage Remake v5 is one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm 

I can reproduce this with Beneath a Steel Sky on my laptop. Has any progress been made on this bug?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

There is a new beta version. If any of you guys that can see the problem register for the beta we can see if the problem is solved.
Here's how to register: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=753

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 am 

Maybe, same to me, but Start menu goes "behind taskbar" when I install software and the windows lose focus automatically in the process.

Windows 8 PRO 64 bits, Intel i3 inside videocard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am 

I can reliably trigger this bug EVERY time, but it's not with a game its with XBMC (which I guess for the most part works just like a game)

Start XBMC, then turn OFF the monitor/display (basically simulating an inactivity turn off), wait a few seconds then turn it back on and you will see the start menu icon that only disappears after toggling fullscreen mode.

If I can run something to help you trace it down let me know, have visual studio installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Admin

See if you can repro this with the beta version.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:06 pm 

Sorry, I didn`t check out the forum for a long time now, but I just downloaded the 3.6.8 version and it didn`t change. The problem in beneath a steel sky is still there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

3.6.8 doesn't have any changes regarding this. The beta version 3.9.0 might: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=753

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am 

The 3.9.0 beta fixed it :) I ran it ~10 times without having the start menu icon shown once. thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 am 

I wanted to add a bit more info to this topic. The menu showing up in full screen games is happening to me since installing the Beta v3.90 a couple of days ago. It is not always reliable but it happens a lot and in several games. Here are the particulars:

-- Running Classic Start Menu only (no explorer or IE) v3.90 Beta

-- Windows 8 64bit

-- NVidia GTX 670 with latest driver and latest GeForce Experience software

-- Dual monitors, thus the "fullscreen windowed" settings you will see listed in the games, so I can move the mouse cursor freely between monitors.

-- Happens in World of Warcraft running at native resolution (1920×1200, Fullscreen Windowed mode, no bars or borders)

-- Happens in Star Wars : The Old Republic running at native resolution (1920×1200, Fullscreen Windowed mode, no bars or borders)

-- Just for reference, it does NOT happen in Path of Exile using the same settings as the two above.

This has only been happening since upgrading to the v3.9 Beta; it never happened to me running v3.6.8.

______
Thorny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Are you talking about the start menu or the start button?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am 

Hi.

I have found the same bug, just in different application after updating from 3.6.8 to 3.9.0 (and 3.9.1) version. I think you can reproduce this bug in "Irfan" application (image viewer).

Windows 8 64-bit

Attachments:
clip1.jpg
clip1.jpg [ 26.26 KiB | Viewed 69211 times ]
clip2.jpg
clip2.jpg [ 6.92 KiB | Viewed 69211 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

What do you do in that application to make it happen?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 pm 

Sorry, I had this part written but it disappeared somewhere...

To reproduce this bug in Irfan you have to open an image and then press "Enter" on your keyboard, to show picture on full screen.
Also, I have to check it again later, but I believe that I saw the same thing happening when playing a video on youtube in full-screen mode (Firefox 24).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:58 am 

The bug with IrfanView was reported many versions ago I think and fixed too IIRC. Not sure if it has resurfaced but I can't repro it. I am using IrfanView 4.32 and Classic Shell 3.9.2 and when the full screen slide plays, I don't get the Start button on top in IrfanView's slideshow.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm 

Upgraded from 4.35 to 4.36 version and the problem is gone. Also - no problem with full screen youtube video. Why? No idea, maybe another reboot helped. So for me the problem is solved, at least for now.