It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:31 am 

Just moved to Win 10 from Win 7, helped by Classic Shell to overcome the poor start menu in Win 10 (many thanks...).

I have recreated the Start Menu I had in Win 7 except you will see that the spacing of the menu items (right hand column) is all wrong - they are all squashed at the top whereas in Win 7 they would have been spaced out equally down the whole of the right column.

Have I overlooked a setting for specifying this? If not, could I propose adjustment of this as a development request?

Attachments:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 174.99 KiB | Viewed 8115 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Admin

There is no setting, but you can edit the skin the increase the padding. Here's how: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/skintutorial.html
The property you need to change is Main2_text_padding

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:49 am 

@Archway, the spacing is small but there is an advantage to it that if you enable all the items, they all can fit on the screen even on smaller displays.

But if you want to increase the spacing here are some instructions to make it simple:

You need to edit whichever skin you use in Resource Hacker. Windows 7 style skins have the extension*.skin7, Classic styles have it *.skin. Copy the skin somewhere else from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins, rename it to something else and open it in Resource Hacker. Find/locate the property Ivo mentioned called "Main2_Text_padding". Change the 2nd and 4th values of "Main2_text_padding" parameter under that section to some higher value. Compile the script, save changes and copy the renamed skin back to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins. Switch to the modified skin from Settings -> Skins tab. Now you will have the right side with larger spacing.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.