It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:38 pm 

Wow! I'm really glad somebody has picked up Dennis' Classic Start Menu (which I'm still using on several older computers [the paid version]).

About the only thing I like about Windows 7 is being able to key into the search field, but on this version of Classic Start Menu it seems that anything I type is used as a taskbar / start menu hotkey of some kind.

What setting will put the keyboard focus into the Search box each time Classic Start Menu pops up, when I click Start?

I don't want to have to move my mouse down to the search field before typing into the search field. It's only one more click, but of course I have to move the mouse point to get there, which isn't the way Windows 7,8 work (I hate Windows 8, but it's nice to be able to just type).

Please let me know if there is such a setting for your version of Classic Start Menu.

There's one other difference. In Dennis' version, if I click on the Start button I get CSM, but if I click OUTSIDE the button I get the normal Windows 7 Start Menu. I don't think he programmed it that way, but I really like having the choice of BOTH interfaces.

Can I do the same in your version?

Thanks!

P.S. My Task Bar is at the RIGHT edge of my screen - your version works BETTER than Dennis' last version, except I'd like to have the focus in the search box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am 

Im not sure who denis is, but all classic shells since its creation has been created by IVO, it used to be open source, until several people (including this denis) Took it, and did nothing but prevent it from working without a purchasable lisence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Classic Shell is not based on Densis'es work, and his is not based on Classic Shell. They are two independent programs with their own unique set of features.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:31 pm 

Ah, appologies for the mis-information, and any potential smear to denis's work, I wrongly assumed it was one of those menu's that just took classic shell and threw a price tag on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:08 am 

If the search box isn't focused (no blinking cursor inside it), you need to press the Tab key on your keyboard to focus on the search box although this can be changed from the "Search Box" tab in Classic Start Menu settings. When the setting "Access normally" is selected and the "Selected by default" option is checked, the search box will be focused when you press the Win key to open the Start Menu.

To open the Windows interface, press Shift+Win key or Shift+left click on the button. You can change this from the Controls tab in Start Menu settings.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 am 

Thanks for the replies, both regarding my actual questions and the program's pedigree. The two programs have exactly the same name (http://classicstartmenu.com/), so I assumed that when I saw the program name a while after Dennis Nazarenko stopped development on his version to do Start Menu X, that they were the same codebase.

Anyway, I'm starting to understand Ivo's program's settings.

Thanks again.