It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 am 

Hi all, how do you remove links from the start menu?
For example, the games folder, how to I remove it so that users cannot access it.
Also, how can I create program sets? so that all the programs are in one folder?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Go to the Customize Start Menu tab in the settings and change the Games entry to "Don't display this item".

As for organizing the programs, I would recommend you do this in Explorer. Right-click on All Programs and select Open All Users. That's where most program shortcuts are. You can rearrange them as you wish. Keep in mind though that if you uninstall a program, the uninstaller won't know about the moved shortcut and won't delete it for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:04 am 

Hi there, I've looked but cannot find Customize start menu, I've found common start menu but not the customize start menu. Is there another name for it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Admin

You need to open the start menu settings. Right-click on the start button -> Settings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 am 

Oh right, sorry. I've got you know. But what I was looking for, is how to deploy those settings across a network so that client pc's are the same configured settings. Any ideas? or does the client have to access the ClassicShell settings from their computer?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Admin

You can use the registry or group policies to override the settings. Take a look at the Administrative Settings section in the help file.
The arrangement of shortcuts is not controlled by Classic Shell. You will need to find some other way to group the programs on each user's machine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 am 

Thanks. I've had a look, but it's only showing for the registry, how would I change it with the group policies. All of these things are new to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 am 
Site Admin

I don't know how to administer multiple machines on the network. I think it has something to do with "domain controller". You need some admin experience to use the group policies.
If you don't, how do you plan to deploy settings across the network? You must have something in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 am 

I deploy settings with Group policy in Group Policy management. I want something like all that users have on their start menu is Documents and My Computer. I can configure a standard Windows 7 PC fine on a network. But I have no idea about ClassicShell because the standard settings will not override the ClassicShells settings.
Am I making any sense?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:42 am 
Site Admin

If you are already using group policies, then all you need to do is install the templates that come with Classic Shell. Look for a file named PolicyDefinitions.zip. Read the documentation inside the zip file for more details.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 am 

Yes, that's what I've done, I've extracted the PolicyDefinitions into the group policy folder, and now ClassicShell is appearing in my group policy folder. But, I need to know, how can I disable menus on the start menu from appearing by using group policys?
I've managed to configure lots of different settings but just cant find that one to disable menus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Look at the settings "Menu items for ..." There are 3 of them, one for each menu style. Use the one you need. Read the description of the policy carefully.