It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Administrative Tools
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 am 

First post, don't kill me if this is in the wrong place or considered a dup.

Classic shell is excellent and as a consultant I've found it in use by many companies large and
small and even national labs.

"Administrative Tools" is showing up under Programs for all users on a computer, disregarding the
windows option to hide/show it (default is to hide). This is confusing for general users. IMO Classic
Shell was designed specifically to help avoid user confusion, giving them the option to stay in their
"comfort zone".

I've read and confirmed that using the windows Hidden attribute can be used. However, both user
and global folders must be hidden, and hiding the global folder requires admin privilege. This approach
hides "Administrative Tools" for all users, even if they want to see it. Some administrative tools can be
of use by non-administrators, so I'm asking that CSM honor the windows settings for administrative
tools, probably all the options for where to show it.

Thanks for considering this.

Post subject: Re: Administrative Tools
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Admin

There is no Windows setting regarding Administrative Tools. There is one in the start menu settings, but they only apply to the Windows start menu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am 

Yes, I'm referring to the properties on the Windows 7 Start Menu. If CSM, doesn't read the Windows Start Menu settings, then I suggest CSM's behavior should default to how WSM behaves -- with Administrative Tools hidden yet allow the user to show it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Those settings are only for the Windows 7 menu. Keep in mind that none of that exists on Windows 8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am 

Granted, but isn't CSM's intent to emulate the various versions of windows start menu? Unless I'm missing something, the vista/win7 mode shows Administrative Tools with the only way of hiding it being to use the NTFS hidden attribute -- which requires admin privilege *and* hides it for all users on the box. No clients using win8 yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

CSM is not intended to use any of the Windows menu settings. It has its own. Otherwise you get into weird situations of conflicting settings, as well as different behavior depending on the OS version.

Even on XP and Vista where Windows itself had 2 separate menus to choose from, they had completely independent settings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 pm 

Please don't get hung up on my comment about reading the WSM settings. I agree, don't mix apples and oranges. My suggestion then, would be for CSM to hide "Administrative Tools" by default and allow the user to optionally show it (perhaps in different, multiple ways--the customization does allow it already, albeit with a bit of effort). The behavior of hiding Administrative Tools by default with the option to show it would better emulate WSM, and therefore keep users in their comfort zone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 pm 

the thing I've found is that because everyone has such different views of how it should function, no matter what the default settings are, You need to dedicate some time to setting up CS on install.. i dont think you can have a quick & easy install with Classic Shell, since the whole point of it is customizations.. luckily you can export the settings

If You are a Consultant, perhaps you can offer a download of the Settings XML file, which you feel are best for quick defaults for people without the time or interest to go into detailed settings on their own.. that way your clients could Download Classic Shell, & Download your Settings file, and be set up for easy consultation.. it'd make your life easier as well..

you could add all the important functions you think people might need during consultations or for troubleshooting various common problems, etc..

It'd be real cool if you could make a standalone installer with things like NirCmd, ShellExecute, CCleaner, and anything else you can add shortcuts for in Classic Shell.. that would sure stream-line troubleshooting, maintenance, & repair