It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 am 

Hey guys,

Love the program and had it on Windows 8.1, brand new laptop, but after I upgraded to Pro pack, Classic Shell hasn't been the same. The Start menu never loads on restart and I have to manually start it. I thoroughly went through similar topics but nothing works. I don't get why even putting in the Startup folder doesn't work. Furthermore, after I added a DWORD value to the registry to create the service.log file (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=711), even THIS didn't work (i.e. no file is being created).

Please help! Earlier on it was not uninstalling / installing properly, kept giving an error that some .lnk file couldn't be created (I can't remember what it was) but now it's fine after I tried clearing all non critical programs from the running list. Even so, no effect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it and send me the log file.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 am 

Hey Ivo,

I've attached the file through dropbox in a private message so for the time being all my PC's details are only seen by you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Looks like the ClassicStartMenu.exe is marked to start as admin. It should not be. It prevents it from being launched on startup because during startup the OS can't ask you for permission.
Same for ClassicIE_64.exe, although it is not as critical.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 am 

Hey man, thank you so much, it's working now! I was suspecting it would be a silly thing like this but this proves yet again why community discussion is necessary!

So for those who are in the TL;DR mode (even though this topic is pretty short):

Don't make it run as admin.

Thanks and bless you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:52 pm 

[quote="Ivo wrote:
Looks like the ClassicStartMenu.exe is marked to start as admin. It should not be. It prevents it from being launched on startup because during startup the OS can't ask you for permission.
Same for ClassicIE_64.exe, although it is not as critical.