It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Cascading Classic Shell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm 

Can Classic Shell first make Win8.1 look like Win7 and then like WinXP and then like Win98 by running program one after the other? I like the look of Win 98 and now have used Classic Shell to make it look like Win98. I have a new computer with Win7 Pro and I'd like to make it look like Win98. I will be forced to go to Win8.1 and would like to make it look like Win98 also.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:18 am 

No you can't rotate skins on a schedule if that's what you mean. You could write a batch to automate it yourself if you want however you should exit the menu before you change settings directly in the Registry.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 am 

I meant to ask if I could do them one at a time one right after the other. I'd first do Win8.1 to Win7 and then Win7 to WinXP and then WinXP to Win98.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm 

the primary function of classic shell is to add a whole new start menu coded from the ground up, it doesn't run older microsoft start menus in some kind of 'compatibility' mode. However many of the features are shared with older versions of windows, and you could potentially make a start menu that Mostly mimics windows 98 visually and functionally.

so to answer your literal question, no it cant.

however the same effect can basically be achieved. (note: youll need to find a windows 98 skin for classic shell, if you want it to match visually, and not just functionally)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 pm 

I still don't understand what do you mean by "right after the other". You can change skins as many times as you want and on as many PCs as possible but not automatically. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 pm 

OK, let me ask this. If I get a computer with Win8.1 pro installed, can I make it look like Win98? When I got WinXP Pro using Classic Shell, I made it look like Win98. I like the way Win98 appears. I have a computer with Win7 Pro on it and hate having to hunt for things. I'd change it buy my wife is used to it and won't let me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

You may be thinking of a different product because Classic Shell does not work on WinXP Pro.

That said, Classic Shell has a start menu that can be made to look similar to Windows 98 using the single-column style and the Classic skin. That skin works the same way on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

Other than the start menu, Classic Shell does not change the look of Windows. You need some other solution (like a custom theme) to change that.