It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: Settings, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am 

I downloaded Classic Shell on my new Windows 8 laptop, and I cannot find any of the settings to make it work. The "shell" icon is not present as a start button, and I cannot find the settings to change the start menu between CLASSIC, WINDOWS XP, and WINDOWS 7, nor can I find the settings to turn features on and off in CLASSIC EXPLORER. Is there a step I need to take in order to fully activate the program ??

>>>> Cascabel

Post subject: Re: Settings, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 am 

There is no step required. The button is added automatically right after installation completes. Do you use any third party anti-virus which may be conflicting with it? If so, look in its setting to exclude EXEs and exclude C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe. Otherwise, I am clueless why the Start button is not added. Classic Explorer is a toolbar and adds some other features, but it should also be automatically enabled. For Classic Explorer, follow the steps in the FAQ to enable it if it's not working: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

Have you done an upgrade installation from Windows 7 to Windows 8? That scenario is not supported.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 am 

GauravK wrote:
There is no step required. The button is added automatically right after installation completes. Do you use any third party anti-virus which may be conflicting with it? If so, look in its setting to exclude EXEs and exclude C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe. Otherwise, I am clueless why the Start button is not added. Classic Explorer is a toolbar and adds some other features, but it should also be automatically enabled. For Classic Explorer, follow the steps in the FAQ to enable it if it's not working: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

Have you done an upgrade installation from Windows 7 to Windows 8? That scenario is not supported.

Thanks for your prompt reply. This was not an upgrade installation to Windows 8, but an original installation on a new laptop. The computer came with Norton anti-virus, and I'm not sure how to check the settings to exclude the start menu as you suggested. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

I had previously installed Win8 start button before I discovered Classic Shell, and I wonder if that is interfering. I expected it would be eliminated during Classic Shell download, but perhaps not ??

>>>> Cascabel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 am 

Yes that will interfere as Win8 Start Button is based on Classic Shell. Uninstall it completely and then install Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am 

GauravK wrote:
Yes that will interfere as Win8 Start Button is based on Classic Shell. Uninstall it completely and then install Classic Shell.

Will I also need to uninstall Classic Shell also, and then reinstall, or will it over write what is there ? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to make sure I do it properly so that it works

>>>> Cascabel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Admin

To be on the safe side I'd uninstall both, reboot, then install Classic Shell. It is unclear how close Win8 startbutton is to Classic Shell and how the two will conflict.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm 

Ivo wrote:
To be on the safe side I'd uninstall both, reboot, then install Classic Shell. It is unclear how close Win8 startbutton is to Classic Shell and how the two will conflict.

I am unable to find the Win8 startbutton program in the ad/ remove programs list on CONTROL PANEL in order to uninstall it. Do you have any info on how to find it ? Sorry, I am not a techie, so I don't know where else to look other than the add/remove programs list. Would you possibly know the exact name of it so I can find it in the list, or perhaps tell me where else to look ?

>>>>> Cascabel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Nope, sorry. I am not the developer on that program.
Maybe you can run the installer of Classic Shell, then choose "Remove".
Then run the installer for the other program and see if it offers the uninstall option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm 

First uninstall the installed version of Classic Shell. If you can't find the Win8StartButton uninstaller, install it once and then uninstall it. After you have uninstalled both, look for leftover files in C:\Program Files\<some folder> of Win8StartButton and delete them. Then install Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 am 

Well, I finally found out what I needed to know on another website. The original problem was how to access the controls to turn on various features, which I thought were missing. Apparently the Win8 StartButton is part of Classic Shell, which should have been explained, which is why I couldn't figure out how to uninstall it separately !!

Nothing was wrong with the download and installation at all!! I just didn't know that I needed to right click on the start button to access the settings. I think that information should have been more prominently displayed for new users. Explaining about the features without telling how to access the settings makes for great frustration. Some of this stuff is not at all intuitive for us non-techie folks........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 am 

The Start button is automatically added on Windows 8, the settings are automatically opened the first time the Start button is clicked where you can choose your style. From that same window, you can enable "All Settings" and you get access to all settings. Also, Classic Shell creates shortcuts to the settings inside "All Programs". If the menu is not running, the settings related shortcuts show on the Start screen as well on Windows 8. :) Plus, you can right click the Start button to access settings. So there are many ways to access settings. Maybe because you installed Win8 Start button first before Classic Shell, something went wrong and you didn't get the settings window and the Start button the first time it was installed. :)

Compare Start Menus