It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm 

Hi

I am running Classic Shell on a windows 8 Pro PC that's on 24/7. (My media center machine). Classic Shell works great, and is set to skip the metro screen at startup, with MCE then living in a startup group on the win8 desktop.

I would like to disable hibernate support, this getting back valuable space on an SSD. Since machine is 'always on', hibernate makes little sense.

Unfortunately, disabling hibernate support (on command line with 'powercfg.exe /hibernate off') - also means that the option 'Skip Metro Screen' gets ignored. I have tried unsetting, rebooting and then resetting the 'skip metro screen' option, but I always end up in metro, not the desktop.

If I turn hibernate back on again 'powercfg.exe /hibernate on' and reboot then the 'Skip Metro Screen' option works perfectly again.

This is fully repeatable.

Any idea's how to solve?

Kind Regards

Nigel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

If you immediately click on the Desktop tile, do you see a start button or not?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Hi

Yes, I see the start button. Everything functions normally apart from the skip option. I should have also mentioned that the machine logs in automatically. Perhaps a timing issue related to this?

I ended up disabling the hibernate support, and the 'skip' option in classic shell and using http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103 to do the skip (I guess it 'just' messes with the registry).

Thus far, this appears to work well.

Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 am 

Im having a similar problem on my laptop, which is a fairly new/clean install of w8, fully updated. Ive tried skip metro suite to, neither that or classic shells skips the start screen, and i ended up installing some program called "bypass_modernui_v066" which modify system files to accomplish it.., ill post if i find out why classic shells bypass wont work.

Yes clicking the desktop button right on the metro UI yields the start button.