It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: No more Jump List?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:46 pm 

Hi,
I have enabled the JumpLists in the General Behavior tab and they used to show correctly.
Recently, I have disabled it by mistake and re-enabled immediately.
Since this, I have no more JumpLists on MSOffice 2013 shortcuts and others like Adobe Audition CS6.
It works only for Opera web browser...

I have uninstalled CS, clean the register, reinstall it, with no results...
Any idea?
Thanks.
Vince

Post subject: Re: No more Jump List?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Is it possible that you disabled them from the Windows settings? Unlike the Classic Shell settings, disabling jumplist from Windows also wipes out the history. So you will have to open few files with Word before you can see a jumplist.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
Quote:
Is it possible that you disabled them from the Windows settings?

It is possible, indeed. :?
I run Win 8 since 6 weeks, I'm rookie.
How could I do this, please? In don't even know. And how could I change back those Windows settings?
Quote:
Unlike the Classic Shell settings, disabling jumplist from Windows also wipes out the history [...] you will have to open few files with Word before you can see a jumplist

But I've been using a lot of files since that (office and other).

I am a writer and I use a lot of files each day with Word. But the fact is that I now have (one week later) only ONE old file in the Word jumplist, one in the Excel jumplist, nothing in Outlook (I really liked the "new..." stuffs), none in Scribus 1.4.3, none in Cubase 7, none in audition CS6, none...
EDIT: I have the whole MRU files list in the tasks bar shortcuts.
Something is going wrong... As you've said, it may be in my Windows settings, but what?
Thanks a lot for your advice and for this excellent Start menu, really the greatest of all I've tested!
Regards,
Vince.
BTW: could you tell me please where are saved the personal current settings?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Save the settings of the start menu into an XML file and attach it here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:33 pm 

Thanks Ivo,
Here's the file.

Attachments:
Menu Settings.xml [6.98 KiB]
Downloaded 1107 times
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 pm 

In case your Windows settings have jumplists turned off, you can turn them on from Taskbar Properties (right click Taskbar empty area, Properties, 2nd tab, "Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists").

After that, you will have to open those documents once at least for them to show up in the Start Menu's jump lists.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Everything in the XML seems to be in order. If you are certain that the same program has jumplists in the taskbar but not in the start menu, then something weird is going on.

In some cases two shortcuts to the same program may not connect to the same jumplist. One thing you can try is copy the exact shortcut from the taskbar to the start menu. The taskbar shortcuts are here:
C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I would also recommend you update to the latest beta version. It has more logging, which will help troubleshoot the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm 

Hi GauravK, hi Ivo,

Thanks for your answers. Really appreciable.
I've just installed the latest beta. Wow, good job!

Well, I've copied the exact shortcuts from the 'Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar' folder to the 'Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' folder...
Arg, no change!
(my windows settings have jumplists turned on)
Quote:
If you are certain that the same program has jumplists in the taskbar but not in the start menu, then something weird is going on.

Good question! In fact, I don't have the same shortcuts in the taskbar and in the classic menu.
And when I drop the same shortcuts, they show the same (false) jumplist.
But when I open Word and right-click in its not-pinned-icon of the taskbar, it shows the right jumplist!
Could it be an Office 2013 bug? Or do they store the MRU somewhere else?
By the way, I have 2 StartMenu folders (at least..): one in the 'Roaming\Microsoft\Windows' folder and another one - older - in the 'Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned' folder...

The good news is that the Outlook shortcut has recovered it's special jumplist (the new... stuffs).

Thanks for your great soft.
V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

The jumplists are tied to a special marker stored in the shortcut. It is possible for multiple shortcuts to have different markers, and therefore one may work while the other doesn't. That's why if you found a shortcut for Word that works, you have to pin it to the start menu and it should work there too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:24 pm 

Btw VeeMike, do you have any software like 7+ Taskbar Tweaker installed to ungroup and not combine taskbar icons? It can change the AppID (depending on what settings are set) and if the AppID is different, the jumplists for those programs may not show.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:50 pm 

Hi,

No 7+ Taskbar Tweaker installed. No tweak! I just cannot work with this dummy start screen, that's why I've installed Classic shell.
I only have one shortcut for Word, it's in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013" folder, and it has no jumplist of course. I also have no Word shortcut in the taskbar. So...
One strange thing: the Word shortcut in the classic start menu has a 'pinned' category (with one file) and no 'recent', since the Excel shortcut has a 'recent' category (with one file too) and no 'pinned'.
It seems a wrong appID could be the cause. But how?
Could it be because I've tried two other start menu before Classic shell?
Or just because the main shortcut stands in the main "C:\programData" folder?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

It is possible that the jumplist is corrupted. It can happen either on its own, or because Classic Shell (or other program before it) messed it up.

You can try resetting all jumplists for all programs. Right-click on the taskbar and select Properties. Open the Jump Lists tab. Uncheck "Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists". Click Apply. Check the setting again. Click OK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hi,

I've unchecked "Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists".
I've deleted all the shortcuts in the classic menu.
Reboot windows.
I've then pinned 4 softs to the start menu (classic shell) from the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder, which is also the programs submenu of the start menu.
I've check that there were no recent files anywhere, no jumplists.
Reboot Windows.
Checked again the "Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists" settings in the taskbar properties, reboot windows !!!
Run Word, Excel and some other softs, open a 8 or 10 of files in each.
Close everything.
And well... No jumplists...

Argh.
PS: most of the opened files are listed in the "UserDocuments" folder...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you are using the beta version 3.9.0 or later. Open and close the start menu. Then look in the folder %APPDATA%\ClassicShell for a file called StartMenuLog.txt. Attach it here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

Hello,
I use version 3.9.1.

The logfile was in the "AppData\Roaming\ClassicShell" folder.
There it is.

Attachments:
StartMenuLog.txt [65.88 KiB]
Downloaded 1075 times
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, the OS is confused about the appid of Word. In your version it is "{6D809377-6AF0-444B-8957-A3773F02200E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE", but the correct one is "Microsoft.Office.WINWORD.EXE.15".

Unfortunately I don't know what causes this or how to fix it. Classic Shell just uses the information, doesn't create it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:26 pm 

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw that logfile. It was correct for Outlook but weird for Word and Excel... god knows why (well, not sure).
So I just deleted the shortcuts in the classic start menu, close and restart it.
Then I pinned directly from the *.exe files to the classic start menu, for winword and excel.
I you know what?
:o I got jumplists!
I'm wondering why I did not try this from the beginning...

Thanks for your work.
I really like this start menu, even if the 'Windows 8' skin is not '8y' enough to my taste. I think there should not be any white in the menu neither in the sub-menus.
Really fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am 

VeeMike, you can try the Metro Glass skin that you may find a comfortable fit for your Windows 8: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=110 . Try it with the "Invert colors" option in the skin and making the taskbar opaque from the Start button tab.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:55 pm 

Hi,
You both are irreplaceable!
Thanks for all your advices and doggedness!
The Metro Glass skin looks great, I'll have a serious look to it just right now.
Best regards,
V