It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Recent Programs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:13 pm 

Currently, recent programs only show in the list when you open them through the Start Menu. I would like to see them get added when opening them through a desktop shortcut as well. This is the behavior in every other version of Windows.

Post subject: Re: Recent Programs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

This is not true. Every other version of Windows show the frequently used, not recent programs.
The latest beta version 3.9.0 has an option to select which programs to see - frequent (including ones from desktop or elsewhere), or recent (but only from the start menu).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:14 pm 

Ivo wrote:
This is not true. Every other version of Windows show the frequently used, not recent programs.
The latest beta version 3.9.0 has an option to select which programs to see - frequent (including ones from desktop or elsewhere), or recent (but only from the start menu).
With any of those options, the programs do not show in the list unless they are opened through the Start Menu. If they are opened through a desktop shortcut, they do not ever show up. This is not only a 3.9 issue, the same thing happens in the release version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

The rules of what to show in the frequently used list are quite complex. In a nutshell, only programs with shortcuts in the start menu are shown, and only after you use that shortcut from the start menu at least once. After that the frequency of use is tracked regardless if you start the program from the start menu, the desktop, quick launch, or whatever. Programs pinned to the taskbar or the start menu are ignored.
That's how the system start menu behaves in Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

So your best bet would be to set them to "Frequent" in Classic Start Menu settings -> Main menu tab, then copy the shortcuts to your Start Menu folder, and then launch the shortcuts to them at least once from the Start Menu. Thereafter, as Ivo said, if they're launched frequently enough from the Desktop, they will show in the MFU list. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

The "recent programs" list only collects items from under "Programs" but not items at the root level or that descend from it not through "Programs". Is there a way to get also these to show?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:26 am 

@waltz, which version of Classic Shell are you using? By root level you probably mean the Start Menu folder. If that folder is shown as inside All Programs (which is the case when the 'Pinned Programs folder' setting is set to "Use Pinned folder", then the Start Menu folder items *are* shown in the Recent list. In the other scenario, the Start Menu folder's contents are directly shown in the main menu. Why then would you want the same program again in the Recent list?

As for other folders, if you want to see anything in the Recent list, then add it as a custom item and check the option "Track recent items" for it.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:45 pm 

I'm on v3.9.3. "Pinned" is set to "Use Start Menu folder". Indeed, items directly in the root don't need to show as MRU, my mistake. :) But items that descend from it, rather than from Programs, do need to be MRUed. My menu is organized into categories that start at the root, not under Programs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:18 pm 

@waltz, ah ok you mean shortcuts added to subfolders inside the Start Menu folder but outside All programs.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm 

Yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:39 pm 

I've noticed that these not-under-Programs shortcuts are added as MRU if ran from the search box, rather than by clicking them in their submenus. I had the impression this didn't happen initially, but I could be wrong.

I tried adding a directory junction or symlink under "Programs" that links to the Start Menu root (i.e., ..\), but it didn't help if the items were clicked from \submenu1\ rather than \Programs\submenu1\.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Are you using the classic style or the win7 style?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

@waltz, that's right that is because the Search box has "Track recent items" option checked so anything launched via the search will appear in the Recent list. For shortcuts inside subfolders located in the Start Menu folder, when you launch them by browsing, they are not added to the Recent list. If Ivo decides to make them track in the next version for the Recent list, then the issue will be fixed.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:32 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Are you using the classic style or the win7 style?
Classic.

GauravK wrote:
For shortcuts inside subfolders located in the Start Menu folder, when you launch them by browsing, they are not added to the Recent list.
What could also be nice, as an extra, is an option to collect MRUs from the MFU db, which I assume is collected by the shell/Explorer in the registry. Watching the MFU registry for changes, comparing to a previous snapshot, and the latest changed is MRUed.