It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: adding to start menu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 am 

i want to simply add logoff above the shutdown button on the 2nd user desktop. it won't add it. i made the 2nd user a admin to see if that would help and nojoy...

i was able to put logoff on the first admin account....

so...:(

Post subject: Re: adding to start menu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Admin

The settings are per-user, so this should work. What have you tried so far?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 am 

i did the drag over to the left. and the right click manuver.
it goes to the left side but
i click ok at the bottom...check the start menu and it's not there.

i have win7,64 bit. i switched desktops around so now i'm trying to get it on the admin desktop.
this is a brand spankin new 'puter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Admin

If you have a user where this works and another where it doesn't, you can export your settings to XML file and then import them into the other user.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 am 

Maybe "Show Log Off" setting got unchecked somehow? Check that on Special Items tab, although in recent versions, it's enabled by default. That must be checked AND logoff item must be present on Customize Start Menu tab.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 am 

ok will check
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:34 am 

why is 'show log off' even an option? if they dont want it shown why dont they just remove it from the customize start menu tab, i noticed several things are like this, i asume there just remnents from before those options were added to the customize start menu tab?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 am 

Yes I agree, it has the potential to be simplified now. :)

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Most people do not want to bother with editing the menu items and just want options to turn things on and off. If they have to remove the item from the tree instead of clicking on a checkbox, it will then be much harder to recreate the item if they want it back.

That's why the most common menu items have both a tree item (to show where the item will be in the menu and with what options), and a separate setting to enable/disable it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 am 

why not add a checkbox labeled "HIDE" to all the items, that way the user could toggle any item on the menu?, and default items arnt that hard to re-create, since there already placed in available commands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 pm 

It's not so easy to merge them because the Customize Start Menu tab has to accommodate/represent custom commands as well. Although by default, all the built-in items can be added once to the left column and disabled/enabled appropriately from Special Items tab so it eliminates the user adding to add and position items. He can just disable/enable them or show them as link/menu.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:28 pm 

@ customize start menu has to accommodate custom commands to;

why cant a custom command have a "HIDE" button, or given further thought an option in its right click context? as far as ease of use, this would allow people to disable custom items to, which are defiantly harder to re-add after deletion than the log off button...

the "don't expand" check-box for current menu items already would work(if it wasn't overridden by) the "Display as menu" vs "Display as link" radio buttons in the special items tab (so there not really needed either)

sort recent documents by: name, extension, or date, would work nicely on any custom item being used as a menu, so it would fit nicely in the edit menu item window

the only things i see needing to stay there are:
Max recent documents (since its only applicable to recent documents..)
Confirm Log Off/shutdown (which could probably fit somewhere else, maybe general behavior)
and shortcuts for recent programs

so basically moving around 3 things and you can delete the whole tab (or keep the 3 there :P)

In summation:
-add "Hide/Show on Start menu" right click context for customize start menu tab; (everything should have this feature anyways, and that just simplifies things); remove all the radio buttons for "Dont display this item" in the special items category, along with the "Show X" options
- the "don't expand" option already implemented does what the radio buttons for "display as link" and "display as menu" but for everything... (so those could just be removed)
- IF you wanted you could add a 'sort by: X,Y,Z radio button option to the Edit menu Item window, since it is applicable to everything that opens as a menu (it could gray out when 'dont expand' is checked); and remove any sort-by options from the Special items tab

@ the coding side of things; that's a different story.... but id like to think its only a moderate amount of work

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

The goal is to provide easy UI for people who don't want to deal with per-item customization. They want a quick set of checkboxes like they are used to on Windows 7 or 95. Think of it like the skins - with the skin options you can turn on/off individual features but if you want more control you have to pop the hood and edit the DLL.

Either way, this is mostly theoretical because for backwards compatibility I can't change the current design.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

ah you cant change the design much :P, without the users having to re-set a bunch of things in the new version

i figured most people use the customize start menu tab?, i mean its virtually everything to me.. (the only tab i would absolutely not use the program without)
but i guess there are a lot of people using classic shell with the stock experience :P, and the customize start menu tab was a little confusing at first, even for me...

so removal of anything from the special items tab wont work because of compatibility

so how about just adding "hide/show menu item" to the context? (not asking if you will, but more of would it work fine, when it comes to compatibility?)

none of these 'features' are high on my list of things i really want done, it was more of just a design/thought removing the contradictions :P

so if you did decide to add em to your to-do list, i hope its somewhere near the end :P

i figure with compatibility, adding stuff is generally fine, but removing/changing isn't? am i right?