It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scottish Gaelic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 am 

Hi,
We'd like to start a new localization for Scottish Gaelic. Is the method still to grab the ClassicShellLoc.zip and translate the files indicated? Just wondering because I'm sure there's a lot of repetition which could be made easier using some translation memory function?

The other question I have is - if a user has a Win 8 langpack installed and installs ClassicShell over it, does the langpack still work?

Post subject: Re: Scottish Gaelic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the contents of ClassicShellLoc.zip needs to be translated. I don't know what you mean by "translation memory function".

Classic Shell does not affect langpacks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 pm 

Thanks.

What I mean is that if you translate an ini file (or any sort of file like that) "manually", you end up wasting quite a lot of time because you have to re-translate stuff again and again. Say "Open" which occurs many times in software menus. If you use something called a translation memory, it remembers things you already translated and tries to match them to untranslated items when a translator is translating, often saving a lot of typing and time. (In case you're worried now, it doesn't automatically translate, it just suggests to the translator that a match exists and the translator then decides if they want to use it or not).

Since this is not a commercial project, you could host it on Transifex for free (for example). It can handle ini files and has an inbuilt translation memory. So translators could translate on Transifex and all you have to do periodically is to pull the translated files from Transifex.

In the long term, it will probably make your life easier too, because you won't have loads of different files flying around once you get more languages participating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

The ini files are the least of the problem. The majority of the text is in a DLL, and besides the text there is dialog resources and even images. If one translator wants to use such website or other tool to make the job easier, that's fine by me. The end result needs to be a DLL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:04 pm 

Ok, I've translated the 3 ini's for starters. For some reason I could not edit them directly, so I saved the English bits under a different name. This may not be what you had in mind - if you let me know what I should have done, I'll do it differently next time.

I uploaded them here

So what happens next? Is there a release schedule?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

This weekend I will prepare a DLL with the ini files and send it to you. When you confirm that it is showing up properly on your end I will release it.
There is no schedule. I specifically designed the system so I can release new translations independently of the main software because people work on translations on their own time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 am 

That's great - thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Try this:
Go to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% folder (usually C:\ProgramData). Create a sub-folder called "Classic Shell". Inside it create 2 subfolders named "Flags" and "Languages".

Download the attached gd-GB.zip file. Inside it you will find gd-GB.bmp an gd-GB.dll. Put the BMP file and put it in the Flags folder and the DLL in the Languages folder.

Go to the Classic Shell settings, open the Language tab, and you will see a new entry for "Scottish Gaelic (United Kingdom)". Select it, press OK, then log off and log in. The start menu should be in Scottish now.

If you confirm that the text appears correct on your end, I will publish this file on the website.

Attachments:
gd-GB.zip [25.77 KiB]
Downloaded 1853 times
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 pm 

Thanks, will try this tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 pm 

Hm not doing this right. Under C:\ProgramData there are no user folders but under C:\Cleachdaichean (gd for C:\Users) I have All Users, Default, Default User, Home and Poblach (Public). I created the folder under All Users but the flag doesn't come up in settings (although amusingly it does pick up on my system language as gd-GB but no icon) and when I sign out and back in, no change, all in English.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Instead of trying to guess the folder, press Win+R then type %ALLUSERSPROFILE% in the box. This will open the correct folder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 am 

I just tried that and the first thing I see smiling at me is the Classic Shell folder I created ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 am 

Many thanks Ivo and Michael. I've just tried it on the the Scottish Gaelic version of win 8.0 enterprise. Seems to work fine but perhaps not all of the translations are in yet. For instance, on the right hand side of the first start menu I see; My Documents, My Pictures, Computer, Recent Items, A' phanail smachd, Ceanglaichean-lionraidh, Clò-bhualadairean, Lorg, Cobhair is Taic, Ruith, Dùin sìos. Should more of these be in Gaelic? Or can these items not be changed?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Many of the menu names items come from the system. If your system shows them in English, that's what you'll see in the menu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 am 

You're right Ivo, that seems to be my problem. On the original win 8 start screen most of my Metro apps are in Gaelic while quite a lot in the "all apps" menu are in English still. I'll have to check if I've configured win 8 correctly. It seems that the ClassicShell part of the translation is working fine then. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 am 

Quote:
I see; My Documents, My Pictures, Computer, Recent Items

Unless you selected the option of updating these folder names, these are inherited i.e. in our case remain in English.

Quote:
It seems that the ClassicShell part of the translation is working fine then. Thanks again.

Ok, I'm happy to give it the all clear in that case, it may just be my system but since the primary reason was for Dòmhnall's college wanting this tool, if it's working for them that's the most important issue. Maybe proper install will sort the issue on my system too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:08 am 

I sorted out my win 8 Gaelic installation and now ClassicShell looks a lot better!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

The DLL is now available for download here: http://www.classicshell.net/translations/ and from the Classic Shell settings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 pm 

Thanks - my version actually auto-updated itself with the new language, very neatly done, thanks very much! I'll see if I can translate some more over Xmas but I've got a bit of a backlog on LibreOffice I need to sort first. Again, many thanks for your tool and support!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:29 am 

Hiya
I went to check if any of the strings need updating and downloaded the 2014 zip under Translations but I can't find any of the Gaelic translations in the StartMenuL10N.ini or the other two ini files. But since the Menu button comes up in Gaelic in the latest version still, they must be somewhere?

Also I noticed that there is now a csv, which looks handy. Reading your post about the l10n process, I take it that covers Level 1 and 2 but not 3 (which is fine for us, it would mainly be Level 2 I'd be interested in adding). So it's ok if I just send you the csv from now on?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Admin

The L10N.ini files only contain the original languages. The Gaelic text is in the gd-GB.DLL.

Yes, you can send me the CSV. However send it to me after you translate the first few lines to verify if the format is correct. It is important that the files is tab-separated UTF-16 with BOM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi. For the next version I need the text "Remove highlight" translated into Gaelic. Can you please send it to me?