It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:31 am 

The new run/search box in 4.0 has serious flaws and cannot be used to access network resources via UNC path. If you type in a machine name using UNC syntax and hit enter, instead of locating the machine on the network and browsing to it, it will search the local machine for that string. So if you type "\\datasvr" and hit enter it will never find the machine but will instead search the local machine.

Related to this, if you try and browse to a UNC machine using IP address, it's even worse. For example, "\\10.90.70.44" While typing this valid machine syntax, every time you type a period Classic Shell hangs for about 10 seconds completely blocking the UI. The same thing happens when browsing for machines using FQDN syntax (e.g. "\\datasvr.mydomain.com")

The default Windows run/search box does not have any of these problems. In a corporate environment where one accesses network resources frequently, this makes Classic Shell unusable. Which is unfortunately because Classic Shell makes newer versions of Windows usable again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:49 am 

Correct. Both reproducible and thanks for reporting! The search box underwent an overhaul in version 4.0. As a workaround until it is fixed, you can temporarily use \\ComputerName\ and press Enter.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

The latest version 4.0.1 has a fix for the search box when you type \\ipaddress. Please give it a try and report here if your issue is fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:44 am 

I know it's taken me a while to get back on this thread. Whereas the newer versions of Classic Shell works much better with UNC paths, it's still not perfect. The problem now is one of timing. When you first type a UNC path in the Classic Shell search/run box, it displays a window to the side with the text "Searching..." After a few moments (depending on your network speed) this text changes to "No items match your search."

If you press enter during the "searching" phase nothing ever happens. If you wait until the second message appears and press enter then it always opens the UNC path in an explorer window. Pressing enter during the searching phase should open the UNC path, which is the behavior of the Windows start menu search/run box.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Admin

What if a new file is found while you press Enter? Then it will open that file instead of the path you typed. You have no way of knowing if new results will show up until the search is finished.
If your intent is to just open a folder, you can use the Win+R box, or even Win+E to open Explorer and type the path there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:01 pm 

Ivo wrote:
What if a new file is found while you press Enter? Then it will open that file instead of the path you typed. You have no way of knowing if new results will show up until the search is finished.
If your intent is to just open a folder, you can use the Win+R box, or even Win+E to open Explorer and type the path there.

This brings up another piece of the puzzle I forgot to mention. In the Classic Shell settings I've disabled "Search programs and settings," "Search files," and "Search the Internet." So it's my understanding that Classic Shell should treat that field as a "run" box and not a combo run/search box. As such, I still consider this a bug, or perhaps an enhancement request.

I guess I can blame Windows Explorer. Since Explorer allows you to enter UNC folders and they always pop up, I expect Classic Shell to do the same. But if Classic Shell is designed differently then it's just something I'll have to get used to.