It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 am 

Hello
Is it possible to add Folder Size in the Classic Explorer? :?:
see
http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/
is for Windows 2000 or XP. Sorry, Vista and 7 changed Explorer so it can't support this column anymore.
Want your Explorer folders to show sizes of folders and files in the same column like this? Find out how!

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:22 am 

Not possible because Microsoft removed the API to add custom columns for all file types at once in Vista. All column handler shell extensions which added information in columns were affected. Now you have to define properties which can only be added per file type and need to be supported by the file type (to be stored inside it).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:55 pm 

GauravK wrote:
Not possible because Microsoft removed the API to add custom columns for all file types at once in Vista.

Thumbs-down for microsoft.
"Folder Size" was the best tool for that, in XP. Now is not working, have other view in new window. Don't like. :|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

You can install FolderSize http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

its not a column, but amall windows that follows you around where ever you navigate to.. and it works with Windows 7

and I just found this awesome little Program, Q-dir http://www.softwareok.com/Download/Q-Di ... er_x64.zip

after installing it, go to Menu>Extras>Data Size Information>Show Q's Internal Data Size Information

then go again to Menu>Extras>Data Size Information>Show Folder Size

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm 

Tenzen wrote:
You can install FolderSize http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

its not a column, but amall windows that follows you around where ever you navigate to.. and it works with Windows 7

I have use it, and as i say to my previews post, i don't like this option to show in new window.

Quote:
and I just found this awesome little Program, Q-dir http://www.softwareok.com/Download/Q-Di ... er_x64.zip

after installing it, go to Menu>Extras>Data Size Information>Show Q's Internal Data Size Information

then go again to Menu>Extras>Data Size Information>Show Folder Size

I use this in the past, i like it, but now i want to use only the explorer of the windows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm 

oops, didnt see that post..

ya, it kinda sucks that there's no folder-size option..

maybe because the folder size takes some time to calculate..

anyway, its not a feature we need every day, in most cases.. so maybe Q is a good alternative for now..

let me know if you find a native explorer solution

I've ony Used Q-dir a couple of times, its too bad it wasnt made to support Explorer add ons like QTtab & Classic Shell..

one of the main features I think is missing form QTTab is the ability to split folders into Panes.. its so useful for tabbed browsing.. transferring files, etc.. i may end up switching to Q-dir just for that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 pm 

Tenzen wrote:
...let me know if you find a native explorer solution.

OK!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 am 

GauravK posted: FileMenu Tools has a "Size of Folders" feature that is quite decent. It isn't a native column but nevertheless has context menu integration. It does have a few limitations for locations where hard links are used. Doesn't take hard links into account yet and doesn't elevate where necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 am 

that it does, a bit slower than Folder Size though

what I like about Q-dir is you can just right-click any folder to open Q-dir in that location

sadly, you cant just click anywhere inside of a folder you are already in, you have to click the parent folder..

and you also dont want to highlight more than one folder and try it, or you'll open a new instance of Q-dir for every folder you had selected.. so you need to open their common parent folder..

but i have folder size running to try it, its not very bothersome so far.. just a weird thing to see really

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm 

It not only does not work after XP, but that tool runs services in the background and slows down the entire system - I hate it.
I prefer the FREE standalone version: Folder Size
It adds a context menu in Windows Explorer - "Scan with Folder Size"