It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am 

I've installed CSM on a bunch of windows 2012 machines I administer. To keep the other admin from griping, I've left the default corner hover behavior on even though I hate it. I wish I could make CSM leave a little blank space to the left of its icon. I want this because I often move the mouse too far towards the corner and then I get the start screen popup covering up CSM's icon. If the icon was a bit too the right, then I'd be able to mouse there a bit more easily.

This would be an optional setting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 am 

Moving the button to the right will break Fitt's law for most users so it's a bad idea to leave space to the left of the button :). Those who prefer to have it such that shoving the mouse pointer into the bottom left corner opens the menu won't like it. Having an option is not justified because there are already enough ways to prevent the bottom left popup from accidentally opening. One is that you assign Shift+left click or Shift+winkey to open the Start screen (or middle click) and disable the popup. Or you can tell the other admin to access the Start screen from the Charms (Win+C). Note that the Start screen popup is not shown when the user hovers over the entire Start button, it only appears when the mouse moves near the screen's hot corner. Another thing you can do is create a custom larger/wider Start button. Look in the help file on how to create the custom Start button. The width of the button image determines the size. If you make it wide/large enough, the Start screen popup will be farther away.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 am 

It doesn't break Fitt's law if it's an OPTION. Otherwise, countless other options in CSM do, too. ;)

And no, the other ways don't help because I'm trying to have it maintain the original win8 behavior, not have to teach everyone in our office that if they control a machine where I've installed CSM, they need to learn new, non-standard ways of using the OS. I'm trying to wedge CSM into our office in a very unobtrusive way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm 

A custom Start button will solve your problem. If you use a wider image, space can be reserved on the left side. Here, I made one for you (attached). See if it works for you. Look in the help if you need to adjust the space more. The button height must be 3 times the width obviously.

Attachments:
WindowsStartButtonWide.png
WindowsStartButtonWide.png [ 18.81 KiB | Viewed 14460 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.