It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am 

I made the mistake of installing 4.3.1 on my 1703 prior to updating to 1709 and now it will not work no matter what I try. On my other machines I left CS at 4.3.0 when I updated them to 1709 and it works just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am 

For me I installed it 'after' upgrading to FCU and it works flawlessly. I have seen people mentioning the issue of it not updating properly after upgrading the system before though in previous versions. So it's possible you might have needed to uninstall Classic Shell before upgrading to prevent that issue. Have you tried simply running a system reset to get your OS completely default [basically removing all things that don't come with Windows] and then reinstalling Classic Shell? If you can't uninstall the leftovers from it then that may be your best option.

It's a pain but if you go into the settings app, and use the reset option you should be able to restore it to default version of FCU removing all files that don't come with it. Then you should be able to reinstall Classic Shell 4.3.1 and it should work flawlessly then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:17 am 

Puffnstuff wrote:
I made the mistake of installing 4.3.1 on my 1703 prior to updating to 1709 and now it will not work no matter what I try. On my other machines I left CS at 4.3.0 when I updated them to 1709 and it works just fine.

uggh here we go again. I did the FCU now no matter what I do explorer loop crashes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am 

Norton wrote:
Classic Shell v4.3.1 was working before FCU (1709). Following FCU install, the system reported Classic Shell was being updated, but the program appears stuck in a loop. The desktop flashes repeatedly, as if trying to start Classic Shell, but nothing is accessible. Reboot did not solve. The only way to recover was killing Classic Shell via Task Manager and uninstalling it. Reinstall did not solve the issue. Neither did removal via "Remove the broken installation left behind by Windows 10" utility and reinstall. Hoping someone has a fix, since I can't stand the standard Windows Start Menu...

same here. I ran all the utilities provided in the beginning of this thread to no avail.. I need my classic shell :*(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 pm 

rocketjedi wrote:
Puffnstuff wrote:

uggh here we go again. I did the FCU now no matter what I do explorer loop crashes.

I just tried the start10 trial version and it won't even launch the program as it immediately informs me that its not activated and then asks me if I want to uninstall it. I wonder just how many other programs are in trouble around this update? I really wish that I'd come here first to read the comments before committing myself to 1709.

Edit: I got it to work but I ran it as admin and allowed it to install into its default directory. It immediately started running again so yes it works. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm 

Nimbi wrote:
For me I installed it 'after' upgrading to FCU and it works flawlessly. I have seen people mentioning the issue of it not updating properly after upgrading the system before though in previous versions. So it's possible you might have needed to uninstall Classic Shell before upgrading to prevent that issue. Have you tried simply running a system reset to get your OS completely default [basically removing all things that don't come with Windows] and then reinstalling Classic Shell? If you can't uninstall the leftovers from it then that may be your best option.

It's a pain but if you go into the settings app, and use the reset option you should be able to restore it to default version of FCU removing all files that don't come with it. Then you should be able to reinstall Classic Shell 4.3.1 and it should work flawlessly then.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's a lot of ass-pain we should not have to endure - I have no desire to re-install all my other apps and settings.

Puffnstuff wrote:
Edit: I got it to work but I ran it as admin and allowed it to install into its default directory. It immediately started running again so yes it works. :mrgreen:

You got my hopes up, but this did not work for me with 4.3.0 or 4.3.1. What is its "default directory," BTW?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:16 pm 

.DMP files uploaded to MediaFire drop folder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 am 

Hi, we use Classic shell in an AD environment for all users and get trouble now with the current Fall Creators Windows Update.

Classic Shell Start Menu
Version 4.3.1, also 4.3.0

Software is installed locally with admin privilegies.
Windows Users are regsitrered as Users, not Admins, so they are not able to install any programms or make changes in their system.

After the new Windows Update Classic Shell wants to reconfigure for the new OS (Its still Windows 10 X64)
For this changes admin privileges are neccessary. I can't go around and change it on all working stations.

Is there any solution how it can be fixed automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Mabel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 am 

I installed the FCU, the only problem I had was that Classic Shell (the start menu) didn't start automatically when logging in, I had to open the settings to start it. But after reinstalling Clasic Shell everything is fine again

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:06 am 

Norton wrote:
Nimbi wrote:

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's a lot of ass-pain we should not have to endure - I have no desire to re-install all my other apps and settings.

Puffnstuff wrote:

You got my hopes up, but this did not work for me with 4.3.0 or 4.3.1. What is its "default directory," BTW?

Unfortunately, in cases of broken apps that can't be uninstalled and can't be fixed with the repair tools this is normally the only fix there is. With programs that have broken to this extend there is normally too much corruption to fix otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 am 

Puffnstuff wrote:

You got my hopes up, but this did not work for me with 4.3.0 or 4.3.1. What is its "default directory," BTW?[/quote]
I was able to get CS to work by not changing the default installation directory that it automatically wants to use. Anytime that I would change it to something else it wouldn't work. In previous versions of windows this has not been a problem and I could install it into whatever directory name I chose.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 am 

After installing the FCU I got the message that CS had to change it's config. This worked fine. The only problem I had was that Network Connections hung my system. Other than that all seems OK.

i7 Quad 3770K @ 5Ghz|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|Corsair 1050W PSU|Corsair H100 CPU Cooler|16GB RAM|Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB|DUAL ASUS PA249Q IPS 24" LCDs|Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB|2TB Seagate, 4TB WD Black|Windows 10 Pro x64 (v1511)|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 am 

I just installed Classic Shell for the first time on this Windows 10 laptop, just after installing the FCU. Everything here seems to be working fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 pm 

After the FCU I also got the message that it needed to reconfigure. I did that and it gave no problems.
But when I open windows explorer it is again the ugly ribbon style and not the classic explorer. The classic start menu is working fine.
I saw there was a new update for classic shell, installed that but still the explorer is not working.
Uninstalled everything and also used ClassicShellUtility to remove and installed classic shell again, but unfortunately the classic explorer is still not showing up.
I do have the classic explorer bar showing but the rest of the layout is wrong. Does not look anything like this:
http://www.classicshell.net/images/explorer1.png

Does anyone have a idea what I can do to fix it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am 

@kiampp, that is a screenshot of Explorer from Windows 7. To disable the Ribbon on Windows 8/8.1/10, use OldNewExplorer: http://tihiy.net/files/OldNewExplorer.rar

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:27 am 

@gaurav Thank you!
I was sure I was using both the classic start menu and classic explorer, but apparently I had installed the oldnewexplorer for that part. Uninstalled and reinstalled it all and now it works okay. I still think it looks a bit different then before the Windows 1709 update but I can't put my finger on it. I atleast have all my buttons back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm 

any updates on this? anyone get it working on FCU? it's killing me using the crappy start menu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 am 

well i feel like a tool. I saw there was an issue with IDT. I guess during the FCU my idt was not installed . found the driver installed and now classic shell works!! yayy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Hi, I can't install CS on Win 10 (error code 2503), any suggestion?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:05 pm 

The Newest build of windows 10 is incompatible with IVO's version of classic shell.
you can try https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... start.html
for a newer version. (Just note: this version is not officially supported here at classicshell.net and since it was developed by someone other than IVO; it is possible (though unlikely, and I have installed it myself) that it contains malware or bugs)