It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Pin to Startmenu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 am 

I would like to have the feature back to Pin recently used programs to the Startmenu in Windows 8 like in Windows 7.

Thanks for this great piece of Software.

Post subject: Re: Pin to Startmenu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 am 

You can pin the programs you need most frequently to the Start Menu by simply dragging and dropping them.
In Classic Shell 4, pinning via right click was implemented for EXEs and shortcuts.

For Classic Shell 3.6.x, there is not a "Pin To" in the context menu but you can add it yourself to the right click menu by following the instructions here: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61 You can modify that registry tweak for 4.0 too to get some extra pinning ability such as pinning to other locations besides the Start Menu folder or pinning any file type or folder, not just EXEs and shortcuts.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 am 

Thank you, thats what I'm looking for..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 am 

I wish pinning was supported as well. Pinned items can have automatic submenus provided by the program. For example when you pin Remote Desktop Connection, the submenu has all the recent machines you connected to. Firefox shows your frequently visited sites and tasks.

I just installed Classic Start Menu on win7 and I'm already finding I miss the tons of things I've pinned. If possible, CSM should read from the same source as where all the normally pinned items are recorded so it can seamlessly integrate with the original start menu. And it should support those submenus.

If you like, I can start another thread for this more all-encompassing suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 am 

@jep, this feature already exists even if the method of pinning is not the same as the one used by Windows 7 (read in that tutorial why). If you follow the link above to the tutorial where it explains how you can add a 'Pin to Start Menu' item to the context menu, then for such 'pinned' programs, the jump list (automatic submenu) appears. You will of course have to pin the items again, Windows 7 pinned items won't be carried over. :)

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am 

Ah, okay. I read that but thought it wouldn't have the submenus. Thanks. It still would be quite slick for it to be able to use the central pinned items location, though. Less hassle for people making the switch. Not fun re-pinning all those items. X)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Using the Windows 7 pinned location will never happen, for 3 reasons. First, this is a different menu with its own settings and can potentially fit different number if items. Second, the Windows 7 menu may not like it when some other software edits its pinned programs behind its back. That's exactly what will happen if you start editing the pinned items in Classic Shell. And lastly, there is no Windows 7 pinned location on Windows 8, and the start menu must work on Windows 8 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 am 

Makes sense. Though on the last one I'd simply say you wouldn't have to use the same location on every OS. But anyway, yeah, that explanation otherwise makes sense and I'm satisfied. Thanks for answering.

Just one more thing - how about a pinned locations import in Windows 7? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Currently this is not possible because the "pinned" items you see are the contents of the main Start Menu folder. These items are put there by Windows and by some installers. This is the "classic way".

If one day the Classic Shell menu starts supporting proper pinning, then it will be possible to import the currently pinned programs as a one-time process.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 am 

And by that time Win7 will probably be long gone and it'll be a moot point! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 pm 

Writing a feature to import the pinned items isn't worth it IMHO because the user can effortlessly re-create them for Classic Start Menu by drag and drop or using that tutorial tools. How many pinned items you have, can't be more than 20. The advantage of Classic Start Menu's style (of showing Start menu folder shortcuts) as pseudo-"pinned" items is that you can back up the shortcuts forever and restore them by copy-paste.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm 

That's not really "effortless", though. If you want people to switch to CSM on Win7, I think it's worth it to grease the wheels.

But I'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 am 

Well good news for you guys, the latest beta version of Classic Shell (linked from the home page) has true pinning. Try it if you're interested.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:53 am 

Hey, thanks for including the pinning feature in the latest version. This is really a needed feature.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 am 

GauravK wrote:
Well good news for you guys, the latest beta version of Classic Shell (linked from the home page) has true pinning. Try it if you're interested.

If you would be so kind, could you explain the difference between "true pinning" and what Classic Shell was doing before? Since this a somewhat old thread I'm probably running the one with "true pinning" so I never used what it had before (I'm running version 4.1.0).

Thanks in advance,

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 am 

the difference was in the steps required, you used to have to drop a shortcut into the start menu rather than right click and 'pin to start menu'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:55 am 

By 'true pinning' I meant the pinning feature is implemented in the new version using a shell extension. In the earlier tweak I showed, it used a command line tool and registry-based context menu verb.

Compare Start Menus