It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 pm 

Hello, I'm new to Classic Shell, but I've enjoyed it for a couple weeks. I am having one issue though. Under Main Menu in the section titled "Pinned Programs Folder" I have Use Start Menu Folder selected, which seems to put my "pinned" items above the frequently used programs stacked above the All Programs & Search section. The problem I'm having is, Bittorrent, Windows Updates, and Default Programs are all pinned there and I can't figure out how to unpin them. I can pin another program and then remove said program, but those 3 seem stuck there -- whether I drag them off somewhere else, right click (to which I find no unpin from start menu selection), or search the Classic Shell menu for a solution. So, I'm here looking for help. I don't want either of those 3 pinned on my start menu... so if it's possible to remove them I'd love to know how to do that. I hope I've given enough information here to explain the issue, and maybe find a solution. :) I'll eagerly await a reply. -- Colby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm 

Check the following folders in Explorer:
- %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (This is the per-user Start menu folder)
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (All users Start Menu folder)
- %appdata%\ClassicShell\Pinned (Per-user Pinned folder)

The shortcuts must be there in either of these folders. You can delete them from Explorer. Right click -> Delete will do the same thing as Right click -> Unpin.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 pm 

I checked those 3 paths and the first didn't contain either of the 3 programs; I don't have the 2nd file path (under C:\ there is no program data folder); and the 3rd folder was just empty. I'm wondering if there's some issue between what my computer wants to do and Classic Shell wants to do. So far they're still stuck there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 pm 

The folder might be hidden. Copy paste it or enable hidden and system files.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 pm 

Oh... so I just searched under C:\ for Start Menu and found the 2nd folder you mentioned -- and there they were. Deleted them! Seems to be solved. Thanks a lot Gaurav. :)