It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 pm 

Hi,

I have a problem that's really bugging me. I'm using Classic Shell 4.3.1 for Windows 10. After one of the last few Windows updates my Start Menu stopped pinning my "frequently used programs". When I go into Classic Shell settings and try to select the settings to make it how it was previously nothing happens after selecting Main Menu > Show recent or frequent programs > Frequent programs.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? It's really annoying not having the programs I use the most quickly available. I have to pin everything manually when there's a wide selection of programs that I only use intermittently. which I would rather have sorted by Windows than to have to manage myself. And it's a pain having to go through the folders in the start menu.

If anyone has a direct solution for this I'd appreciate it. I hope no one just tells me to pin everything manually because I'm looking for helpful suggestions to fix what was working fine before.

My start menu looks like this now when before all the slots were always filled by the programs I used the most:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:20 pm 

Windows 10 must have turned that off since it fools around with your settings on its own.

For Windows 10 Creators Update, there is a new setting under the system Settings app (press Win+i to open it) -> Privacy: "Let Windows track app launches to improve start and search results". Turn it on.

Then go to Settings -> Personalization -> Start and turn on "Show most used apps". After turning it on, try launching a couple of programs and they should show up in the Frequent list.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 pm 

Thanks for that. Fuck Microsoft and their datamining.