It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:47 am 

Hi there, I am developing a skin whose details can be found here:- Windows 10 Concept Menu, By Juniper7.

While developing I tried to switch the positions of Left and Right Main Menu Columns by adjusting Main_padding And Main2_padding.
But I have found two values which just differs by 1 pixel but Two columns move quite a big gap.
I tried to interpret the situation several times but still can't find the reason.

So Anyone Please take a look and help me.

Note1:- Main_padding and Main2_padding STRING_OPTIONS are already defined in the skin, so use them in the Classic Shell Menu Settings.

Note2:- The values where I found the discontinuity are:- Main_padding="300,56,3,0" --> No Change
Main2_padding="-287,26,6,0" -->"-288,26,6,0"

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
Screenshot (54).png
Screenshot (54).png [ 71.67 KiB | Viewed 23353 times ]
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (53).png [ 98.78 KiB | Viewed 23353 times ]
Skin And XML.zip [25.52 KiB]
Downloaded 1417 times
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm 

Hi meetHG. Yes, in between jobs now. Life threw me a curve ball. That's all I want to say at this point.

Your version .3
Say what?
You are the first person to try those text strings in that fashion.
Does that mean text strings could be used for labeling on menu as well?

I did not look inside the skin file, but I can see what you are doing.
In order to get the jump-list/pin items on right side, you flipped the paddings,
forcing the left to right, right to left. No idea why 1 pixel makes a difference.
Past a threshold somewhere.

Are you Jewish? :) This reminds me of using Hebrew language. It flips everything horizontal.
Hey, some idea for you. Use your first version, edit the language file at the Hebrew section to English words?
I think it should switch automatically?
Make sure to save a copy of original language file to put back afterwards.

EDIT: I just tried it.
Shucks, Using Hebrew language does switch column positions.
Just one big problem. It draws right to left. :lol:
It puts the icons, arrows on wrong position, and reverses some images.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:43 am 

Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
Due to some political issue in my country, govt. officials cut off our internet connections. :x

Well, yes. 0.X until it is released as RTM. 8-) :lol:

For Labelling on Menu, I don't know how. :?:
I don't know if there is any option which will print these text strings on menu, like Custom User Name in the "Menu Look" Tab. If there is, this can be used for labelling tile text titles.

Nope. I'm not Jewish.
I tried your idea of changing language.
And As you said some results were good some were not.

So, Question is still up to debate.
Might we need Ivo's help as I don't have a single idea why this is happening. :roll:

Bye.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am 

Hi.
I know you are not Jewish, and either am I. Your new version menu has the look :) of those 8 languages that are read right to left.
Personally I like the start button close to the action items (search, programs).
I recall Gaurav has some technical name for the ergonomic operation, of what I am trying to say.
I remember people have asked if the start button can be moved further towards center of taskbar, but I think it was no. That would be great though to match this menu.

By putting the paddings in not so normal ways ( like a double jointed person),
It's like telling menu to bend over backwards :) Does it work differently on older version of CSM?.
I remember some problem that showed up on a newer version of CSM. I reported it.
When Ivo fixed it, he said something about it not parsing properly.
Maybe that is what a true bug is called.

Many skins I have made, I get weird anomalies. 99.99% were my fault, because I don't understand the logic, or forgot about some text further on down in file that overrides it.
I've come across a couple in updating XP Classic Retro 7 style skin, just recently.
If the user name is set to italic (slanted font), parts of letter at the beginning / end of name get cut off. Only certain letters though. It's like CSM does not read the outside letter boundary for italic.
If I switch to normal font, all is well. Either I messed something up in file, or really is a bug?

Another weird one with user name, and user image outside at same time. The main padding overrides the main2 padding or User image padding in a weird way. Forcing Main2 padding won't work. :(
If I turn off user name, main 2 padding is ok. In the end I had to make a work around,
by having a different User_image_padding=4,67 instead of user User_image_padding=4,8,
only to do it when user picture, and user name checked together.
Win 7 style does not have user name option, so I am pushing CSM in contortionist ways, so I don't want to report it.

Up to you to report your padding oddity as a bug, or is there a work around?

Bye.

Attachments:
Italic font cut off.png
Italic font cut off.png [ 4.92 KiB | Viewed 23198 times ]
Strangeness.png
Strangeness.png [ 92.2 KiB | Viewed 23198 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm 

So, Ok I don't think there is another way to do this.
I will report this as bug in the Bug sub-forum so that Ivo can take a look.

Bye.