It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am 

Hi guys!

I'm on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 64-bit, and there's an issue with the Classic Start Menu. I use the auto-hide feature for the taskbar. I generally don't have any problem. However, sometimes, after using the Classic Start Menu, the task bar won't hide, even after opening it again, clicking on windows, etc. The only way to correct this is to open the Windows 10 Start Menu and close it.
It doesn't happen that often so I haven't figured out what could be the cause of this behaviour.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 pm 

Here's what I have observed on Windows 10 Creators Update:

Without Classic Start Menu running, open Notepad from the Windows 10 menu. As soon as the menu closes, the taskbar auto-hides and remains hidden until the mouse pointer touches the edge of the screen where the taskbar is, or unless some keyboard hotkey is used which invokes the taskbar features.

With Classic Start Menu running, if you open Notepad from the Classic Start Menu, the taskbar hides when the menu closes and Notepad launches. When Notepad is closed, the taskbar unhides itself.

However, Classic Start Menu's behavior is the the exact way Windows 7 taskbar and Start menu behave. Upon closing an app, the taskbar unhides itself. Whereas Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 behave differently as mentioned above - they keep the taskbar hidden after the launched app is closed.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:21 am 

Indeed, it does the same at me, but it seems that as soon as an app is brought on screen by clicking on it in the taskbar, closing this app will unhide the taskbar. However, as soon as I switch to another window without using the taskbar, this behaviour will stop (closing any app will not unhide the taskbar). So it's only if the app has just been brought by clicking on it.
And as you said, an app closed after it was opened from Windows Start Menu will not unhide it, unlike with Classic Shell.
And I also have this delay before the taskbar disappears when opening an app from Classic Shell.

So it this weird behaviour seems to be caused mainly by Windows 10 right?

And maybe Classic Shell is doing something with the taskbar just after the app was opened (maybe because it opens the app, then tells the taskbar to hide while Windows menu does the opposite), and then it gives back the focus to that app by re-opening it from the taskbar, which would explain why closing that app unhides the taskbar just like if it had been clicked on?