It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 am 

I'm trying to set up a start layout file to remove Live tiles from showing when in tablet mode.

I have the start.xml exported via powershell and tried to set this up via group policy to change but its not working. The group policy is under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Start Layout and then set Start Layout File
I'm thinking this may be down to classic shell running but I cant find any option in the classic shell setting to make this change. Is there an option I am missing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:02 am 

Classic Shell does not affect the Windows 10 menu in any way. You can be absolutely sure of that.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:55 pm 

I came here looking for this myself.

Windows 10 Pro - 1703 Creators Update

I have been trying to create an image and I apply the XML file through GPO and the Taskbar modifications never work. The only thing that could at all cause the issue is Classic Shell. I have to do some additional testing but I wanted to bring this up as I have tried everything I can think of.

I used the instructions found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ca/window ... 10-taskbar in the "Remove default apps and add your own"

Here is the XML that I used if one of the devs wanted to try to reproduce the issue.

I stored the file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and pointed the local GPO a.User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Start Layout

The contents of the XML file are below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LayoutModificationTemplate
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"
xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"
xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"
xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"
Version="1">
<LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
<DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
<StartLayoutCollection>
<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
<start:Group Name="Life at a glance">
<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
</start:Group>
<start:Group Name="">
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\iTunes\iTunes.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Karmak\ProfitMaster.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Outlook 2013.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype for Business 2016.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Word 2013.lnk" />
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Excel 2013.lnk" />
<start:Group Name="">
<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\GoldMine\GoldMine.lnk" />
</defaultlayout:StartLayout>
</StartLayoutCollection>
</DefaultLayoutOverride>
<CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
<defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
<taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2013.lnk" />
<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ProfitMaster.lnk" />
</taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
</defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
</CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
</LayoutModificationTemplate>

Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong here it should modify my Taskbar to remove Edge and the store icon and then add Chrome, Outlook 2013 and a program called ProfitMaster. Dont care about the actual start layout at all as we are using Windows 7 mode.

Any ideas what could be happening?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 pm 

Windows 10 Start Menu code and Classic Start Menu code are entirely different and do not affect or interfere with each other. No idea why your GPO to pin certain shortcuts to Taskbar/Windows 10 Start menu aren't working but it's not related to Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.