It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

Excuse my lack of tech knowledge and skills. This has probably been answered before but I could not find anything related to it.

In short, I want the computer to hibernate but it restarts instead.

I have Windows 8.1 and LOVE (love, love) the Classic Shell start menu. I'm not sure the problem is a Classic Shell one, though; because it seems to occur after I do some, not all but some, Windows updates. Or, I've wondered, is the update resetting something in Classic Shell?

I don't want to have to power down completely when I know I'll be back on the machine in, say, 30 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks mucho.

LM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Do you get the same behavior when you hibernate from the start screen?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 am 

By "start screen" I hope you mean the screen that looks like the old Windows 7 menu, with the search field on the bottom left and then to the right of it is the "shut down," "hibernate," etc. commands. (Above the search field are the "all programs" button and then above it are the most commonly used programs.) This is the screen I routinely go to in order to shut down, hibernate, sleep, restart, etc. I don't think I know of any other way to shut down / hibernate / etc. other than from that menu. I suppose Windows 8 and 10 offer other ways -- but I am not familiar with them.

Bottom line: answer to your question is yes, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Admin

No, I mean the way you would hibernate if Classic Shell was not installed.
For example you can close all programs, click on the Desktop and press Alt+F4. This will show a dialog box with options to shut down. Hibernate should be one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:02 pm 

Ah, now I get it. I cannot remember that I have ever powered down from the Windows 10 screen> Give me a couple of days to do that and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

LM