It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 pm 

GCRaistlin wrote:
Is it possible to get this normal look on Win8?

If you like something like this (my Win 8.1):

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:35 pm 

Splitwirez
No, I don't have it installed. Look at the screenshot above - it's not the Classic Theme. And yes, I want "Enable Classic Theme Now, for the current user session" feature.
Can you please give me a link to the instructions?

Anixx

Yes, that's what I want exactly. And what I get, too. But in some situations there's a need to enable the native Win8 look back. I'm trying to find a way to do this without entering an admin password.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:37 pm 

GCRaistlin wrote:
But in some situations there's a need to enable the native Win8 look back. I'm trying to find a way to do this without entering an admin password.

Yeah I misunderstood the problem, sorry .-.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, currently the only way to re-enable Visual Styles is to log out and log back in .-.

That may change in the future though. Who knows what the future may bring? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:44 pm 

GCRaistlin wrote:
An addition to your bug list:
- standard Task Manager doesn't work. But Sysinternals' Process Explorer is better anyway.

I use this one:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-restore- ... windows-8/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:46 pm 

Splitwirez
Sad to hear. But anyway, what the renaming thing is all about?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:47 pm 

GCRaistlin wrote:
It may be a bit difficult to copy Wi-Fi key from KeePass on the login screen.

You can use a third-party Wi-Fi utility. Such as NetSetMan, for instance:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

GCRaistlin wrote:
Splitwirez
Yes, that's what I want exactly. And what I get, too. But in some situations there's a need to enable the native Win8 look back. I'm trying to find a way to do this without entering an admin password.

You can temporarily enable or disable Classic theme by changing the access rights to \Sessions\X\Windows\ThemeSection object (where X is the number of the current session) using for instance, ObjDir utility: https://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=42

Start it as admin and remove read and query privs from the object ThemeSection for users you want to have Classic theme under current session. Then any windows started from those users will have Classic theme.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:58 pm 

Anixx wrote:
Start it as admin

That's an unwanted action. I'll look closer at your links, though. Thanks.

There's another issue, and it's more serious one. With w8classic, my Firefox window title looks like this:

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

> That's an unwanted action. I'll look closer at your links, though. Thanks.

To switch on or off the Classic theme you have to have the admin rights. A non-admin user can use it but only if it was prevuously installed by an admin.

> There's another issue, and it's more serious one. With w8classic, my Firefox window title looks like this:

There is a fix for Firefox. There are actually several different methods, for instance, this one:
http://winclassic.boards.net/thread/25/ ... ix-firefox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:40 am 

Anixx wrote:
There is a fix for Firefox. There are actually several different methods, for instance, this one:

Thanks, it works, but... not squred tabs look really ugly. Can you give a link or something to different ones?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:56 am 

GCRaistlin wrote:
Anixx wrote:

Thanks, it works, but... not squred tabs look really ugly. Can you give a link or something to different ones?

You can make tabs squared with other extensions. Just install whatever extensions you want. AFAIK there is "squared tabs extension" or the like. You can also try different themes. Another method is explained here: http://winclassic.boards.net/thread/39/ ... orders-fix

All the methos are listed on the linked site.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:42 pm 

That was my fault - I had the old version of w8classic. Sorry for such a stupid reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 am 

Anixx wrote:
You can temporarily enable or disable Classic theme by changing the access rights to \Sessions\X\Windows\ThemeSection object (where X is the number of the current session) using for instance, ObjDir utility: https://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=42

Unfortunately it works only for sessions w8classic wasn't enabled using userinit replacement trick for. It is was then there's really no such an object.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 am 

GCRaistlin wrote:
Unfortunately it works only for sessions w8classic wasn't enabled using userinit replacement trick for. It is was then there's really no such an object.

Yes. There is method of deleting the object (non-reversible) and another method, just changing the access rights (reversible). If you deleted the object, you cannot change the access rights on it, obviously.

I think the changing access rights method can be made into a command-line utility or into a VBS/PowerShell/AHK script. I do not have enough skills for it though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 am 

It would be definitely a more correct solution than the current implementation of w8classic.

Returning to the subject of Windows 8.1 [Dark Active Button] theme, it's a good idea to apply Windows default theme first. To be honest, it's the only way I was able to make it work. Unsigned themes service restart didn't help, and it isn't needed with this method.