It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 am 

First, I love the fact that Classic Start Menu is now the easiest (and cheapest!) way to customize the colors of the taskbar.

But, I use the "Windows 7 Basic" desktop theme on Windows 7, and if I choose to "Customize Taskbar", but pick the exact same colors as the theme gives me, I noticed that I lose the 3-D effect at the top of the taskbar.

If you could add an option to pick a color to use for the 3-D effect, that would be awesome, but even just not painting that part of the taskbar in the custom color would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:49 am 

You can use textures which get stretched so for the 3D look create an appropriate texture with a gradient that gives a 3D look instead of a solid color.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm 

It never worked for me, so was about to make a post saying he can't do that with basic themes. But I decided to try it myself again. It does work with Windows Basic and third party themes--but not with Windows Classic for some reason. Why not?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 pm 

Weboh wrote:
It never worked for me, so was about to make a post saying he can't do that with basic themes. But I decided to try it myself again. It does work with Windows Basic and third party themes--but not with Windows Classic for some reason. Why not?

Because the Classic Shell Taskbar skinning functionality requires the Visual Styling engine to be active or something, which is not the case when the Classic Theme is in use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:48 am 

Ah. That's a bummer. I like the way you can customize the classic theme in different titlebar colors and everything, which is not the case if I use any third-party style besides an Aero one. And I'd rather not have Aero on lots of the time to save battery life.

Any chance of making this work with the classic theme (probably not since Windows 7 users are sadly in the minority now.…)? Or, can someone make a visual style that looks and works exactly like Windows Classic? Would that make this work?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 pm 

Weboh wrote:
Ah. That's a bummer. I like the way you can customize the classic theme in different titlebar colors and everything, which is not the case if I use any third-party style besides an Aero one. And I'd rather not have Aero on lots of the time to save battery life.

It requires Visual Styles, but nobody said it requires DWM... :lol:
(Hint: Using a Basic theme won't kill your battery AFAIK, and will still let you use the Taskbar Skinning Functionality)

Weboh wrote:
Any chance of making this work with the classic theme (probably not since Windows 7 users are sadly in the minority now.…)?

Actually the OS is irrelevant, though 8.1 and 10 may require a second fix for Classic Theme with DWM...

Weboh wrote:
Or, can someone make a visual style that looks and works exactly like Windows Classic? Would that make this work?

Classic AE would do it, but you'd lose the colorization options because...well...it's a Visual Style .-.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:31 pm 

Splitwirez wrote:
(Hint: Using a Basic theme won't kill your battery AFAIK, and will still let you use the Taskbar Skinning Functionality)

Right, but the classic theme is the only non-DWM visual style that I know of that lets you change colors for the titlebar and stuff. If I use any other visual style, I have the skinned taskbar with a completely different--even different color--titlebar and such.

Splitwirez wrote:
Actually the OS is irrelevant, though 8.1 and 10 may require a second fix for Classic Theme with DWM...

Again, true; I have Windows 7 and it works with every theme but classic. But doing this fix to make it work with the classic theme would only benefit Windows 7 users. And Ivo has said before that Windows 7 users are the minority among CS users. (He said that about adding in support for on-the-fly gradients so that a .skin can match the titlebar, which eventually got added in sooo....)
Splitwirez wrote:
Classic AE would do it, but you'd lose the colorization options because...well...it's a Visual Style .-.

Not to mention it would still drain my battery. ;) And it looks ugly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:10 pm 

Weboh wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:

Right, but the classic theme is the only non-DWM visual style that I know of that lets you change colors for the titlebar and stuff. If I use any other visual style, I have the skinned taskbar with a completely different--even different color--titlebar and such.

Did you actually just say that?

The Classic Theme isn't a Visual Style, it's a complete lack thereof. That's why it doesn't allow Taskbar skinning :lol:

Weboh wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:

Again, true; I have Windows 7 and it works with every theme but classic. But doing this fix to make it work with the classic theme would only benefit Windows 7 users. And Ivo has said before that Windows 7 users are the minority among CS users. (He said that about adding in support for on-the-fly gradients so that a .skin can match the titlebar, which eventually got added in sooo....)
Splitwirez wrote:

Not to mention it would still drain my battery. ;) And it looks ugly.

My point remains - some people use the Classic Theme on Windows 8.1 and I wouldn't be surprised if a tiny portion do even on 10... >.>
(FYI I mean the Classic Theme, not some replica of it such as Classic AE or those horrifying Aerolite colour schemes)

And yeah, Classic AE isn't as pretty as it could be...also idk if Classic AE supports Basic, but if it does, using it as a Basic Style wouldn't drain your battery. So there's that.