It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 am 

In Windows the Classic start menu at least in Classic theme appears not on the top of taskbar but immediately on the top of the Start button. It is also shifted to the right from the screen edge, matching the Start Button as well. Can an option be added to position the Start menu exactly like Windows does it?

Also notice the focus rectangle that exists in Windows:

Attachments:
Windows_95_Start_menu[1].png
Windows_95_Start_menu[1].png [ 3.3 KiB | Viewed 30032 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:29 am 
Site Admin

You seem to be using a custom theme that may be adding an extra edge to the taskbar. It may be tricking the start menu into positioning in the wrong spot. You may have to edit the skin and play with some padding to compensate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 am 

Ivo wrote:
You seem to be using a custom theme that may be adding an extra edge to the taskbar. It may be tricking the start menu into positioning in the wrong spot. You may have to edit the skin and play with some padding to compensate.

...IIUC, this is actually the exact opposite - that's a screenshot of Windows 95. Anixx was asking if Classic Shell could have an option to replicate the Start Menu positioning shown above.

Actually, that kinda reminds me of that time a while ago when I asked about having the Start Menu overlap the Taskbar completely...how about killing 2 birds with one stone with a Menu Position Offset setting of some sort? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:19 am 
Site Admin

The menu is intentionally behind the taskbar, because otherwise the shadow will look weird.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 am 

Ivo wrote:
The menu is intentionally behind the taskbar, because otherwise the shadow will look weird.

I know this is kinda trivial, but it'd be nice to have an option to change that to facilitate the other setting I mentioned. Think of the theming possibilities...

Also the shadow was on top of the taskbar in some builds Windows Longhorn (and XP too?) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:29 am 

Windows Vista seems to be the only OS to have Classic Start Menu without overlapping the Taskbar.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm 

Ivo wrote:

This is Windows XP, here we can see the shadow, but I would not call it weird, it seems nice to me:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 am 

So is it possible to make it work as on the WinXP picture above?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:00 am 
Site Admin

No. The start menu appears behind the taskbar when the taskbar is horizontal.
You can adjust the precise positioning of the menu (behind the taskbar) by creating a background image with transparent padding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:22 am 

Also, since Windows 7, there are large taskbar icons which almost touch the top edge of the horizontal taskbar. If the menu overlapped the taskbar, it will end up touching those icons.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:13 pm 

My request was to make the start menu looking exactly like in Windows, like I was accustomed to. Additionally, positioning of start menu over the start button creates an increased 3D push effect. I have just checked Windows 7 and, indeed its start menu is positioned like it is currently done in Classic Shell, but I dislike this look. It is regrettable this option cannot be implemented.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:58 am 

If you think about what is said here:

Quote:
You seem to be using a custom theme that may be adding an extra edge to the taskbar.

You might realize there is an alternative route to acomplish what you are looking for, IE use classic shell to make the taskbar clear, and then add a slightly larger taskbar behind it via editing the background (or in rain-meter if you frequently change desktop backgrounds, Note: with rainmeter you can slightly alter the desktop work area so maximized windows will conform to your new/larger taskbar too)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:48 am 

Jcee wrote:

Quote:
You seem to be using a custom theme that may be adding an extra edge to the taskbar.

You might realize there is an alternative route to acomplish what you are looking for, IE use classic shell to make the taskbar clear, and then add a slightly larger taskbar behind it via editing the background (or in rain-meter if you frequently change desktop backgrounds, Note: with rainmeter you can slightly alter the desktop work area so maximized windows will conform to your new/larger taskbar too)

a) That makes the Taskbar Bigger, and the buttons can't be enlarged accordingly
b) Skinning doesn't work with the Classic Theme
c) That wouldn't help my desire to have the Start Menu completely overlap the Taskbar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:38 am 

Jcee wrote:

Quote:

That comment was very much off. It is based on another topic where I participated and indeed there was a shift caused by a third-party program, but not any more now. And, if you want to make the menu position lower adding a thicker taskbar skin would not help: it will make the position higher. And, it will not make the menu overlap the taskbar. And, this does not work in Classic theme anyway.