It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:02 am 

I was a victim of the classic shell hack (on my 1 day old computer, you know you have good luck when you get a virus within the first day) and I recovered my OS,so everything is better now, but what in asking is, will there be any side affects I will get due to this, will my PC be slower because of this, or does the recovery slow down computer?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:29 am 

The malware did not infect my PC but I am inspecting it in a virtual machine. Apart from infecting the MBR, I don't show any other effects like it erasing or encrypting data.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:32 am 

I'm not worried about that, I worried about my PC being slower than usual after the recovery (it's not happening g it I'm wondering if this has been reported).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:01 pm 
Gaurav wrote:
The malware did not infect my PC but I am inspecting it in a virtual machine. Apart from infecting the MBR, I don't show any other effects like it erasing or encrypting data.

I'm wondering if you can answer this question - So I had the malicious program on my computer, it was downloaded to and run from my C: drive. I had the issue of it not installing (it brought up a very quick command prompt and that was it), which I later found out to be the virus. I then downloaded the installer again from another mirror and it installed fine into my other drive (Z: drive). However, I didn't enjoy the program too much (just a personal taste thing) so I uninstalled it. My question is as follows: will anything on my 2nd drive (the Z: drive) be infected? I already have done a clean install of windows on my C: drive and am running a virus/malware scan on both drives as we speak. My Z: drive contains all of my steam games so it its almost 1TB of data I do not want to re download. Is the Z: drive potentially compromised, or did the hack only target the boot file in the C: drive?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Installing and uninstalling the real Classic Shell will not cause any permanent effect on your system.
If you have rebooted successfully since encountering the virus, that means you are OK. If you haven't rebooted since then though, there is a good chance your MBR is busted and you will have to follow the repair instructions like this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6440