It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 am 

I have the latest version of Classic Shell installed. It is NOT infected with the virus.
I am unable to install the windows 10 Anniversary update. I have tried manually, as well as using the windows 10 upgrade assistant tool.
Every time the update fails. and reverts back to the previous windows 10 version.
I am wondering if this could be related to Classic Shell. I noticed that windows installed update KB3152599 the same time I first attempted to install the anniversary update.
I couldn't find much info on KB3152599 other then it does something to repair the start menu hence my thinking that the anniversary update won't install due to Classic Shell.
Can anyone confirm they have installed the anniversary update and also have Classic Shell running without issue?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Admin

I have not received any reports of the Anniversary Update failing because of Classic Shell. Also, Classic Shell does not mess with the Windows 10 start menu, so it is unlikely to be related to your problem.

If you want to be safe, uninstall Classic Shell and try again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 am 

Ok thanks I will try uninstalling Classic Shell then updating windows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am 

Classic Shell is like a regular app so it is highly unlikely to prevent an entire upgrade of a Windows version. The Classic Start Menu is an app, the Explorer extensions also use APIs. So as such it's not a hack or anything that modifies system files or settings and would cause the OS upgrade to fail. You can be sure of that.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:49 am 

I uninstalled Classic Shell and tried updating windows again. It still fails.
I hate windows 10! I quick google shows a lot of people are having issues updating too.
Glad that Classic Shell is not the problem, Classic Shell saved me after upgrading to win10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 am 

When I upgrade to anniversary version so have MS deleted the Classic Shell app. Then I download
the latest version of Classic Shell and install it and it now works like a charm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 pm 

Got the update to work. Not sure what the exact problem was. Got frustrated and did everything i could think of at once, I repaired the system files, reinstalled the Win10 buit in apps, uninstalled Virus checker, ect and this time it worked. So much BS for an update I did not even want. I hope i don't have to reconfigure all the settings again and disable the crap I don't want.
Classic Shell still works like a charm tho!