It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:44 am 

Hello,

First of all, excellent product! Just installed this on my second laptop. This one is Windows 10 64-bit. I have a couple of potential problems, though they might not actually be bugs (ie, maybe I just can't find the correct setting). Please help?

First problem:
-Right-clicking programs in the taskbar doesn't do anything. It doesn't bring up the little menu where I can close a program or pin/unpin it, etc. I can right-click the taskbar itself and bring up the Properties and I can right-click the Start icon to bring up the Classic Shell settings (or shift+right-click to bring up the Windows 10 settings). I just can't right-click programs in the taskbar.

Second problem:
-I can't left-click icons in the notifications section in the lower-right near the clock. Left-clicking the time will bring up my calendar, but left-clicking things like the Volume Control and the Wifi/Network and Sharing thing doesn't do anything. See photo if it's unclear which icons I'm talking about.

Third problem:
-If I hover over a program in the taskbar, it brings up the little preview window (see attached photo). The only problem is that it doesn't go away when I move the mouse away and only goes away if I click within the little preview window.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Once again, love this program.

Attachments:
File comment: Hover-over preview window
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 63.53 KiB | Viewed 45945 times ]
File comment: Notification icons that I can't left-click
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 49.23 KiB | Viewed 45945 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am 
Site Admin

What version of Windows do you have, and what version of Classic Shell?
Also, does the problem go away if you exit the start menu? (right-click on the start button, select Exit).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 am 

Windows 10, 64-bit, x64.

Classic Shell is 4.2.5.

Hmm, the problem doesn't go away if I exit Classic Shell, but also now it doesn't let me left-click the Start Menu (ie, nothing happens). This probably means it's not a Classic Shell problem, then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Are you using the official Windows 10 build 1511, or one of the insider builds for Redstone?

To verify if Classic Shell is at all related, turn off the setting "Start automatically for this user" in the General Behavior tab and log off. See of the problem goes away. Then start ClassicStartMenu.exe, and see if the problem reappears.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am 

I did what you said, and still have all three problems. Guess it isn't Classic Shell problem! Thanks for the help, anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:01 am 

7+ Taskbar Tweaker might help you: http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker Using it, you can make right click open the context menu, and disable taskbar thumbnails or turn them into a list.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:08 pm 

Did anyone ever get Right Click / Context Menu in CSM working once it broke? I've had (the latest) installed on MULTIPLE Win 10 Pro 64 bit build 1709 installations without a problem. But now I can't get right click to work for the life of me!!!

Please if anyone has any advice!!! I've tried registering or re-registering StartMenuHelper64.dll (and 32 as well) both in System32 and SysWOW64. I didn't see any dev post that suggested only one is needed, or in which location, or what?? But even with doing this, and rebooting, and force-restarting explorer, I'm not having any luck.

Anyone get this fixed once broken?? Or am I doing something in the wrong order??

Note: My only theory is that one must install Classic Shell BEFORE the major feature upgrade in order for it to work? This is the only time I've installed it AFTER and now it's broken... I cannot live without CSM

Attachments:
3.PNG
3.PNG [ 17.25 KiB | Viewed 44564 times ]