It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:02 am 

When you move files from one folder to another, is there a way to force the files to be arranged alphabetically within the destination folder instead of being lumped at the bottom of the file list?

I was greatly disappointed to find out after installing it that Classic Shell had no such option.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:54 pm 

That is surprising that files aren't being sorted automatically for you. For me, when I move or copy any files, they are sorted automatically immediately in the destination folder. In fact I don't know of any way to NOT sort them and intentionally have them lumped together at the bottom of the list. Auto sorting is the default Windows Explorer behavior since Vista in all releases of Windows.

Which version of Windows are you using and are you pasting files on a network path or inside a regular folder on your local drive? Can you show a screenshot where your copied or moved files at the end and not sorted? It might be possible that your folder is sorted by date modified. Right click in an empty area and choose Sort By Name.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 am 

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. Depending on the folder and conditions I haven't been able to figure out, sometimes files are lumped together at the bottom of the file list in the destination folder, sometimes they are arranged alphabetically within the existing files of the destination folder. I'm moving files normally on my local PC - no network. I'm certain the folder is set up to arrange files alphabetically as are all the folders on my PC. I'm attaching an example image. I'd wish there as a way to force Windows to arrange the files just moved within the existing ones alphabetically.

Attachments:
1.jpg [244.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I believe root folders, such as C: and D:, place new items at the end. Other folders put new files alphabetically. I don't know why it is done this way or how to change it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:25 pm 

I believe they're only like that when they're first copied, and only sometimes (when it's copied to an external disk, root folder, or certain other conditions). But pressing refresh or opening the folder again should fix it.