It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:37 am 

I've installed Classic Shell on several machines on our domain. However sometimes windows does an update and then users get a prompt from Classic Shell saying "Windows has been updated and classic shell needs to be reconfigured" (I am paraphrasing). Then it prompts for an Admin.

Is there anyway I can configure this not to require an admin? Or some specific permission I can give them so they don't get this prompt? Its no fun to run around and fix everyone's computer every time a windows update runs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 am 

You get this message only when an entire new build of Windows is installed/upgraded. For example, even if your PCs had Windows 10 RTM, it received a major update/OS upgrade in November 2015. After this, some Classic Shell components need to be re-registered to work correctly and that requires admin access/elevation. The admin account on each PC needs to complete this at least, even if standard users (or admins without elevation credentials) cannot.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 am 

I think its that Nov 15 rollout. The NOV 15 rollout doesn't actually install until about a month after you initially install Windows 10 for some reason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 am 

Yes you've to wait for 30 days after installing Windows 10 RTM before Version 1511 Update is offered via Windows Update. Microsoft made this intentionally to allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately that's the part that requires elevation for sure. A new Windows install destroys the registry keys that are necessary for the start menu to hook into Explorer. They are heavily protected and require admin access.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:29 am 

Is it possible to Change the Classic Shell Settings,
that there is no Administrator Login or other typing necessary,
after Change the Windows 10 Build Version.
I´ll like to make the change automaticly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 am 

No, because it needs access to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch of the Registry to repair itself after a Windows build upgrade is complete.

Compare Start Menus