It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:39 am 

hello, i have the bar at the top of my screen and i'm posting to let you know that some skins (the ones with corners) don't look right :roll: :lol:

maybe it's possible to invert automatically the place of the corners when detecting using top bar ?

thanks much for your hard work :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Admin

No, there is no such feature. You will have to create a custom skin that has the round corners inverted, or use a skin without round corners like Metro or Midnight.
BTW, this is exactly how the Windows 7 menu works.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:12 pm 

If you want to go through the hassle, there's a tutorial here: http://classicshell.net/tutorials/skintutorial.html

It seems like the kind of thing that would be trivial if you understand what you're doing, but actually figuring out exactly what to do is far more difficult. A walkthrough of the exact steps might help, but I'm in no way the person to make that walkthrough, all I know myself at the moment is that the page I linked exists.

Automatic corner inversion seems like it might be a useful feature to eventually add, but there's also no guarantee that skins won't try to do something more complex with the top and bottom. Leaving the other elements alone could lead to mismatched corners, while automatically inverting them too could lead to things like upside down text elements. The only way for the system to tell what to do would be to incorporate additional flags into the skins, which could break every existing skin for only a minor cosmetic gain and still might not cover weirder cases.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:37 am 

it would help slightly, but even if it could be done with 0 effort on Ivo's end I wouldnt want it included because it would just add unnecessary depth to skin making..

But yea it is 'fairly' trivial.. and heres a step-by-step:

Download/install reshacker
open the skins folder, double click the skin, select open with, and choose resourcehacker.exe (likely located here, if you installed at the default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Resource Hacker)
then click the first file in the skin folder, look for "Main_bitmap=" (sometimes a skin has more than 1 main_bitmap, and you would need to find the one that is used for the skin settings that match, but with most this isnt the case)

Then in the bitmap folder, find the number that matches, export it, edit it in photoshop/gimp/paint.net and re-import it. then save your work