It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 pm 

I have been using Classic Shell start menu since its inception. I have installed it on all of my computers in that time (perhaps twenty of them) and another thirty or so on computers belonging to friends and relatives. I have about fifteen skins that I made several years ago and have used them on all my various installations of Classic Shell start menus. However, on my latest installation on both Windows 8.1 and on Windows 10 (final version released on 7/29) my skin additions are not recognized and shown to be available. Versions 4.2.1 and 4.2.3 simply won't recognize the added skins. I have copied the settings to an .xml file from a working edition of the program and imported it to the malfunctioning versions to no avail regarding the skin problem. I've reached the end of my rope and need some help. Can anyone advise me so I can remedy this situation and get on with my life?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Is it possible that the skins are for the Classic style and you are currently using the Windows 7 style?
Skins with .skin extension can be used by Classic style only and skins with .skin7 extension are for Windows 7 style.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:06 pm 

Thanks for your input Ivo. I actually have both .skin and .skin7 extensions in the group of skins I added to the skin folder. They're equally invisible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

OK, attach a few of them here and I can try them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:47 pm 

Ivo wrote:

I tried on three different browsers and cannot get the files to upload, collectively in a zip file or individually, some sort of error is preventing their uploading. Take my word for it Ivo, they work beautifully in some fifty or so other applications. If you must see them to evaluate them yourself, send me an email address and I know I can send them that way. The problem is definitely not in any of the skin files, it's in the application that just refuses to recognize them. I have five computers and I have installed Windows 10 on two of them with the identical Classic Shell result in each.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 am 

BudCallaghan wrote:
Ivo wrote:

I tried on three different browsers and cannot get the files to upload, collectively in a zip file or individually, some sort of error is preventing their uploading. Take my word for it Ivo, they work beautifully in some fifty or so other applications. If you must see them to evaluate them yourself, send me an email address and I know I can send them that way. The problem is definitely not in any of the skin files, it's in the application that just refuses to recognize them. I have five computers and I have installed Windows 10 on two of them with the identical Classic Shell result in each.

Try uploading them to an external location, such as MediaFire, and linking to them here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 am 
Site Admin

You can use the Classic Shell drop folder at the bottom of this page: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:12 pm 

I solved the dilemma. The failure of skin recognition resulted from installing the application and then copying the skin folder from another computer by just replacing the skin folder installed by the program. The new skins will only be recognized if they are installed in the skin folder that was installed by the program's installation rather from one installed on another computer. I uninstalled the Classic Shell app, re-installed it and then copied my skins into the installed skin folder and they were then recognized. Thank you all for your concern and assistance, my best to all of you.

Attachments:
CS Skins.zip [166.13 KiB]
Downloaded 1718 times