It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:12 pm 

I found a little program that disable explorer bars viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3433 why not get that and navigation bar disable as options for classic start explorer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:39 pm 

If another little program does it; why does classic shell need to?
also what purpose does removing the address bar serve besides hindering navigation?
I could understand it on a kiosk where you don't want the user browsing the computer; but even then its quite an insecure prevention method...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am 

1 . it is easy to implement and does not add bloat

2. Very useful for my win95 theme :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 pm 

I tried that .exe and couldn't get it to do anything on my w8.1 x64 system
I didn't use windows 95 really; but looking at images on google makes me wonder how you navigated (were there still shortcuts to go up one level, or to the previous folder?) because without those it would seem quite annoying to navigate out of folders

That said, I guess i could see a very limited use-case (I dont think many people view the address bar as a bad design element, which just leaves those looking to remove it for space, or because they want to visually match windows 95)

But I would still define it as bloat, because I don't believe the feature would be commonly used (but of course this is up to IVO)
Still it might be worth creating a thread including links to things like this (and any classic theme files) because classic shell IS one of the places people would come to look for features found in older versions of windows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:34 am 

Quote:
But I would still define it as bloat, because I don't believe the feature would be commonly used

How can you tell for other people? The inability to remove the navbar was the main thing that barred me from upgrading from XP. If you like this new Microsoft's crappy handicapped Explirer, use it but keep your opinion with yourself!

There is no difficulty with navigation, if you want back you can press backspace. Additionally, I always use the option to open the folders in separate windows so the navigation buttons are always grayed out and non-functional.

Anyway, the Win 6.x (Vista+) navbar is just very thick and out of style and buggy and takes a lot of vertical space (compared to Win2000/Xp navbar) which is important on displays with smaller vertical resolution.

Many people allso use third-party navigation bars or prefer the navbar to be under the menu (rather than opposite). Either way one can do the navigation via menu as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:10 pm 

What I would love to see is the option to hide the Address Bar, and the addition of an XP-style address bar. It would be more compact than the oversized default Address Bar, and it could have features that would allow the user to customize it. I could totally see this as a feature in Classic Shell, and it would probably work better than the Address Bar Remover application we have now (which doesn't always work on newly opened explorer windows).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:00 pm 

Here is the newer version of the program. It will bring you something like this:

If you want another navbar, you can use any of the third-party ones available (I personally do not need any).

The program does not work perfectly, often it fails because it is in the separate process from Explorer.exe. If it were embeeded in Classic Shell it would work much better.

Attachments:
AddressBarRemover.zip [548.29 KiB]
Downloaded 960 times
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am 

Anixx wrote:
If you want another navbar, you can use any of the third-party ones available.

You know of any good 3rd party navbars? The only one I've found so far is QT Breadcrumbs bar, but that doesn't seem to work too well. It crashes explorer, and I'm honestly not a big fan of using an address bar with breadcrumbs.

Anyways, I agree it would be nice to have an option to hide the navbar implemented into Classic Shell. It probably would be more reliable that way, and it would be nice to have the option.