It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 am 

I'd like to have a "New" button that can drop-down to select "New" items that get created in the current directory window

such as:

• Shortcut
  • Text Document
  • Word Document
  • Rich Text Document
  • etc
really any program that is in the right-click context menu item "New" would appear in the drop down list

or, even just to be able to create a custom command to create the item in the current tab location...

Currently, I can create a New Command, which Links to C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe

and the Icon shows up on the toolbar, but all its really doing is launching a program, and a new RTF document opens up, but its not saved anywhere

I think i'd be awesome if it could just put a new item in the folder, ready to be named, like the normal right-click "new" command does..

the "New Folder" button works awesome, putting it right in the current location, but it seems i get anything else to do that

i tried just typing in "NewTextDocument", but that didnt work

maybe if we could just edit a few more parameters or something

does that seem doable?

is there anyway to do it now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 am 

you mean like the right click context, except for the classic explorer toolbar, i believe there is a way, im just not sure offhand, but it probably involves creating a .bat file and passing it the directory from classic shell...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Admin

The rules for the contents of the New menu and how they behave are quite complicated. I don't think I can do it reliably.
You can use the File -> New menu. That's just one extra click. In Windows 8 most of those are even buttons in the ribbon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 am 

well, dont sweat it. thats ok, thanks

minor detail.. it seems difficult.. but your entire program seems difficult to make. i'm amazed at how well it works and how well it was made.. good job

the .bat file idea sounded kind of cool, but i'm not sure how you'd get a bat file to point to a new directory/current directory every time you ran it.. unless you could add parameters like "in current window" or something somehow..

actually, just having Notepad for a New Text Document is the important bit.. just that would be enough...

maybe New Shortcut..

probably not all the custom stuff we add to our right-click menus.. just "New Text Document" really, for quickly creating scripts, etc..

I just think it'd be cool, all the icons are staring you in the face, you want to rely on the buttons, its just something that seems missing..

anyway,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm 

Tenzen wrote:
...actually, just having Notepad for a New Text Document is the important bit.. just that would be enough...

Is possible to add new custom button "Create new Text" to the Classic Explorer?
My English is not so good and have not understand the previews post. :oops:

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 pm 

there is, but it doesnt place it in the current directoy, it just opens up Notepad.exe

you can open up Settings for Classic Explorer, go to the "toolbar Buttons" tab, scroll down to "Custom Command" and click "<<" in the middle

Right-Click "CustomItem" and click "Rename" and name it "Notepad"

Right-click again and select "Edit Item"

in the Command type "newtxtdocument"

browse to an Icon for Notepad

Click OK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 pm 

Not working that...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 am 

ok i see, i dont know where I got that.. but it worked.. anyway, just type: notepad.exe

***Here is a work around for getting a new document in the Current/Active folder:***

• type: notepad.exe New Text Document in the Command Field of the New Item
then you get a prompt to create a txt file named "New Text Document" in the current/ active folder..

thats a pretty good work around, but there are two bits of trouble:

1. if there is already a file named "New Text Document", then it wont prompt you to open a new document, it will just open that document for editing.. a relatively minor problem

2. It doesnt Immediately Focus the Rename Text Box, so you have to input your text, save the file, then click the Classic Shell Rename Button.. a minor problem

I'm sure someone knows how to write the arguments for creating a new document in the current folder, such as "notepad.exe %cd%" or "Notepad.exe -new -current folder" or something, those wont work, but something will i'm sure, for any DOS Gurus out there

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 am 

Thank you Tenzen i try it, is working, but this is not easy to use, sorry. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 am 

yep, its a work-a-round.. its still definitely a suggested feature..

unless someone can figure out the parameters to make it "run from current location" or "create new in current location" or something along those lines..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 am 

actually, more than anything it needs the ability to Name the Document, since it at least gets to the current folder

some thing like notepad.exe %curdir -name "New Text Document" - Focus Name

i dont know if it would work, since it wouldnt open the document, but create one for you to name instead

but i'd like to know what the windows internal syntax was on XP for executing commands from teh right-click menu shell.. its got to be some certain syntax & parameters that gets it done..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

nosauce wrote:
the only thing is if i give the icon a Label, ONLY the newly made custom button shows the label below it making the toolbar much larger. I'm assuming there's a way to show icons only (not label) but i only found option to show it on the side (i think). It seems the default is icon only, not sure why only the newly made custom button shows label below it.

I just deleted the label. It just says "custom" in the classic shell customization menu.

That is normal. It says Custom in the settings so you know which ones are custom items. If you keep the label field empty, it will show just the icon.