It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Use Right Click Instead?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:05 am 

Hello,

I am using 4.2.0 beta on Win 8.1. For my use I would like to have classic shell on the right click (instead of both classic shells right click menu, and win 8.1's right click win-x menu). This way I can left click for start screen and right click for Classic Shells start menu.
All the other buttons have several options except right click, which only can change to open the Win-X menu

Can I do this somehow in this version and just missed it or?

If not could this be considered before 4.2.0 becomes final.

Thanks 1st post :)!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:51 am 

I agree, and have offered the same suggestion (along with the ability to edit what is displayed with the regular right click

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Right-click showing the context menu is standard. And there are already two context menus for the start button. It will be really overloaded to add more functionality on the same button.
If you want to access both menus with a single click, use the left click and the middle click.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:06 pm 

there are already 2 menus, but neither of them support any level of customization..
All I want is the ability to add custom fields (name and shortcut/command), or remove those already present. and maybe expandable subfolders
no need for any special items.

Actually i would suggest putting settings, help, and exit into a sub folder titled Classic Start Menu (replacing the top item in the current context menu)
because none of them are really needed all that often.
then the primary context menu could be populated by whatever the user chooses. My optimal right click would feature: Classic Start menu(with exit, settings, and help as a sub), Control Panel, run My computer, sleep, and shutdown.

Ive never used the open/open for all users items, so to me they are unneeded clutter (since you can right click the programs menu item in classic shell to get to the same folders anyways)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:47 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Right-click showing the context menu is standard. And there are already two context menus for the start button. It will be really overloaded to add more functionality on the same button.
If you want to access both menus with a single click, use the left click and the middle click.

Dear Ivo,

I think you miss the point I and Jcee are trying to make...We know context menu is standard on right click. We are asking to be able to not use the context menus and use CS start menu instead. This way we have our own way to customize what shows since everything found in the win-x and CS context menus can be done better with CS she'll menu itself.

So we don't want to add more stuff to the win-x nor CS context menus, just want additional choice for right click, like:
check box under Controls>
Right Click Opens:
· Win+ X Menu (context)
· Classic Start Menu
· Windows Start Screen

Middle click is clunky to use...plus I have never clicked it in all my years of using a mouse just not as smooth IMO.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:49 pm 

There are enough options and ways to use both menus - Classic Shell's and the Windows menu. Plus as Ivo said, right click itself is taken by two context menus. You can customize the Win+X Menu btw: http://winaero.com/blog/customize-the-r ... windows-8/

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.