It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:44 am 

How about a group policy option to reverse the order of the Apps and Program folders?
for some reason myself and a lot of others keep accidentally expanding the Apps menu, when 99.999999999999% of the time what you want is the programs folder.
I think it is because we all expect Programs to be the bottom menu option - anyway A come before P alphabetically, so why is it shown this way round?
I know you can customise it manually, but a group policy option is required to roll that change out to all our users.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:11 am 

Change the order of menu items as you want using the "Customize Start Menu" tab of Classic Start Menu Settings UI.

Then open Registry Editor and go to this Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings

Locate and double click the "MenuItems2" value and copy its value data.

Now locate the Group policy setting called "Menu items for classic menu with two columns" and paste the data there. This will roll out the change for all users.

Btw, nice suggestion. Programs should be at the bottom IMHO as well since keyboard users are also accustomed to opening it using Win key, Up arrow key, Right arrow key. On my PC, I always move Programs below Apps but Ivo will decide if the defaults should change.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:03 am 

Thank you very much for your help on that one!

Watch out for the extra blank line when you paste the contents of the reg key value in to the group policy, it does not like a blank line at the end and will not accept it, just delete the blank line.