It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

I have a laptop with 2012 Windows 8 and had installed Classic Shell(4.9mb)- Thank God for Classic Shell! All was well until I clicked on an update notification on 9-8-14. After the update when I initiate startup I get a blank green screen with no touch mouse! I can use a mouse plugged into USB & keys. I can not access system restore (assuming Win8 has that). I can access task manager with keys. I can delete all Classic Shell with task mgr, but I am concerned this may leave me with no way to to access anything. Anybody know what's wrong with the update, or how to undo it? I was perfectly happy with the original Classic Shell and do not need the update. Lesson learned- If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Is it possible the update is not specific to the version installed & just gets sent to everyone? I just used task mgr to look at what "history" shows: 4.0.1, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, copies of both 32.dll & 64.dll. Start menu setting shortcut does not work. Version 4.1.0.0 will not launch. Classic IE_64 will not launch. Classic IE_32 launches a setting window.
I just ran Malwarebytes and it caught PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A - type-registry key- location HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\EE0C9EF1-B2AD-407B-9707-0124CC9BF8... & another GreatArcadeHits in type-Library. Quarantining those. No change. I found that I can launch Classic Shell from Task mgr- everything is there and works.
So until find out what the update did, I have to use a USB mouse & taskmanager to access my computer- still not as BAD as the Windows 8 side screen swipe!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Reboot and see if that fixes things. Sometimes after install the Explorer doesn't automatically restart. Try running it manually from Task Manager.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 pm 

@Stephen Cutler, If you are able to start Task Manager, you can start System Restore from File -> New task. In the dialog type, rstrui and press Enter.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 am 

reboot always blank green screen. Will look for something called Explorer in task mgr and try to run it.

Thanks for the way to launch system restore, then i can get my touch mouse back.

Thank you both very much!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 am 

On reboot today Classic Shell launched! This was after I had given up in frustration several days ago, without rebooting. During that session I recall being offered a red icon that read something like "switch to Classic shell desktop". I forget how/what I did that caused that, but I clicked on it and it did go to Classic Shell. I thought nothing of it at the time as I had gotten to Classic Shell with Task manager too. In hindsight I think what may have happened is:
The update reverts the default desktop back to Windows 8, which for some reason no longer works. Once I navigate to the red icon option, the update created, and switch to Classic Shell, I'm good to go. Yea!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 am 

Didn't last long. Sometimes the computer would not launch beyond the Gateway Logo, sometimes it would but with no key or touch mouse, sometimes stuck on Classic Shell with no key input, no touch mouse. I'm system restoring to dump the windows updates now......... waiting.........waiting.......waiting!
I'm considering dumping all classic Shell, then do all window updates, then do a new Classic Shell install.
Ooh! I've got the Gateway Logo & the spinning 5 white pong balls...now a blank dark blue screen.....now the Windows 8 date time screen...password screen....now square icons like one of them new fangled "cellphones". Three of them are Classic Shell icons... menu settings... Classic Explorer Settings...Classic IE settings. Now I'm interrupted with a "Get Windows 8.1 for Free-install now/remind later. I'll select later-Oops no finger mouse! Plug in USB Mouse... select Classic Shell menu Settings... looks good, but now have Classic Shell Update Window...autocheck for new versions (I deselected it) -Check Now - OK/Cancel. I selected check now.... there is a new version....4.1.0 - for Win8.1. Maybe the Win8.1 update will restore my finger mouse. I'll try it, :roll: Then I'll load CS4.1.0