It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:33 pm 

I have a request for all you skin makers. Can you change the shut down button in the windows aero skin
to something closer to the original windows 7 shutdown button
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:34 am 

Is this close enough? (updated Windows 7-style skin attached) I increased the brightness on the Shutdown button for the non-hovered state. The icon next to it can't be changed though. It shows the Windows Update icon to be more clear to the user about updates than using an exclamation mark.

Attachments:
Windows Aero (Shutdown button mod).skin7 [399.5 KiB]
Downloaded 1579 times
Shutdown Button.png
Shutdown Button.png [ 15.14 KiB | Viewed 39052 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:15 am 

I like it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:58 pm 

Hello, I just created an account right now, just for a special request. I've always LOVED the Windows Vista Power, and Log off button. You know, the one that shows a beautiful glossy RED power button, and a beautiful yellow/goldish glossy log off button. Sure it won't have the other options, but I really don't care so can you PLEASE make a skin for me that replicates Windows Vista's Power, and log off button? I'm really desperate and I've been searching all over the web for weeks all to no avail, so I'm crossing my fingers with you guys and is honestly the main reason for why I created an account on this site just now in the first place. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:41 am 
Site Admin

No, that exact button style is not supported and can't be recreated with a skin. There were two buttons in Vista next to each other (if you don't count the arrow) and Classic Shell only supports 1.
You can get the glossy appearance by editing the skin but you can't change the overall functionality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:00 pm 

Okay, but if Classic Shell only supports one button and the arrow, then can't I just choose which one I want and have you guys recreate it for me? Basically I like the red glossy power button more than the glossy yellow/goldish log off button, so if Classic Shell only supports one button can you at least make me the Vista power button? I also have a second idea, make a skin that changes the appearance based on which option is set. Meaning, if I choose shut down as the primary function of the actual power button, then it displays just the Red Vista power, and the arrow next to it with the other options. If I set the Log off function as the primary function then the main button changes to the yello/goldish log off button Think that would be a possibility for a skin? One that changes the appearance of the main shutdown button according to which function you set as the primary? But if that ISN'T possible, then can you do my first one and just make the red glossy Vista power button for Classic Shell's Main Shutdown button?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 am 

A button with no text is not good for usability (it is not immediately clear to the user what the button does unless he/she hovers over it), that is why in the Windows 7 Start menu, the style of the Shutdown button was changed to a text-only button and a submenu. It can no longer have an image/icon.

At the most, you can use Classic with two columns style where you can insert sub-items as buttons, but then you can't have a submenu for the rest of the actions, all the shutdown actions have to be buttons only.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:04 pm 

That's not true about not becoming immediately clear to the user. All start menus have a power button, thus everyone will know that the button is for power, plus everyone will know that red is for power, and yellow is for log off as that is how it's been done for Windows forever. Besaides everyone knows that a not fully closed circle with the line on top going through it is for power as that is a universal symbol, I mean if they can't tell that the red Vista button is for power than there is something SERIOUSELY wrong with them and they are mentally retarded in the head LITERALLY and shouldn't even be using computers in the first place, after all, they wouldn't know what the power button on the actual computer does, because it has no text LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there are multiple ways to "power down". You have shutdown, hybrid shutdown, hibernate, sleep, and for some people even "lock" may be considered powering down.

Either way, there is no way to have the look of the shutdown button depend on the command. Your only option is to create a custom skin that has the icon embedded into the background of the button. You also need to clear the text. You may be able to achieve this by setting the text Menu.Shutdown in the StartMenuL10N.ini file to "&". Also keep in mind that if you have pending updates, another icon with the Windows Update logo will also appear on the button. It may not look good with your custom button.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:08 pm 

DarkHarbringer wrote:
Okay, but if Classic Shell only supports one button and the arrow, then can't I just choose which one I want and have you guys recreate it for me? Basically I like the red glossy power button more than the glossy yellow/goldish log off button, so if Classic Shell only supports one button can you at least make me the Vista power button? I also have a second idea, make a skin that changes the appearance based on which option is set. Meaning, if I choose shut down as the primary function of the actual power button, then it displays just the Red Vista power, and the arrow next to it with the other options. If I set the Log off function as the primary function then the main button changes to the yello/goldish log off button Think that would be a possibility for a skin? One that changes the appearance of the main shutdown button according to which function you set as the primary? But if that ISN'T possible, then can you do my first one and just make the red glossy Vista power button for Classic Shell's Main Shutdown button?

Edit the shutdown button bitimap image. Use Resource Hacker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:03 am 

Actually, you can get a Custom item then putting a Shutdown and Log Off item. And then, making icons. And applying it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 am 

@DarkHarbringer, you can't have 2 power buttons plus a submenu like Vista in Classic Shell's Start Menu but I did make a skin with a glossy red Shutdown button and a colorful submenu button: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5063

Compare Start Menus