It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 pm 

I am making changes (fromWin7 style to XP or Vista) start menu), and the Classic Start Menu settings records and remembers my change; but when I go back to the start orb, the start menu remains the Win7 style.

I have looked for the Classic Shell service in the services.msc window, but nothing is there--there is no classic shell service running.

What should I do? I just reinstalled this program a few minutes ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:15 am 

The Classic Shell service is not present in recent versions of Classic Shell as it's no longer required.

After you make any changes, click the OK button to save them.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 am 

I'm selecting the Classic style start menu; I hit OK. In fact, CS even remembers my selection. But each time I go to the start menu, it is the Win7 style.

I'm not seeing any window advising a reboot. Is that necessary?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:44 am 

Can you upload a screenshot please of the menu you are getting? To take a screenshot, press the Printscreen key and then paste the output into Paint and save the file.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 am 

I assume you meant a screenshot of the start menu (and not the CS settings window). I have linked to it here. My screenshots are gigantic when uploaded as attachments.

Trouble embedding the link: http://paulrittman.com/Screenshot.png

[url=paulrittman.com/Screenshot.png]paulrittman.com/Screenshot.png[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Save your settings to XML file (from the Backup button in the settings) and attach it here.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:50 am 

OK I've attached it.

Attachments:
Menu Settings.xml [985 Bytes]
Downloaded 1126 times
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 am 

Your left click and Windows key are set to open the Windows Start Menu. From Start Menu settings -> Controls tab, set them to open Classic Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:27 am 

GauravK wrote:
Your left click and Windows key are set to open the Windows Start Menu. From Start Menu settings -> Controls tab, set them to open Classic Start Menu.

That did it. Thanks. I kept my shift-click to open the Windows start menu, in case I want to tinker there for any reason, but the methods you identified, to open the Classic start menu.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 am 

Just a word to the wise: if you want to tinker around and change one style (of start menu) to another, back up your settings first. I'm glad I did just now, b/c after switching from classic xp to vista to 7 start menu, my pinned programs were gone. A restore of that XML file brought them right back.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 am 
Site Admin

The pinned programs default to using the "Start Menu" folder for the Classic style (for historical reasons), and to using the new "Pinned" folder for the Windows 7 style. That's why if you switch the styles the pinned programs change. To stop that toggle the "Pinned Programs folder" setting to make it bold. This means the setting is fixed and won't change with the style.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:43 am 

OK. Did that.

FWIW, I just found out that you can search for a setting, instead of looking through each tab. For a utility with so many options (perhaps making it no longer a utility), that's helpful.