It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 am 

Hi,

I did click on a language in the settings panel parameters and its didnt change the language in the settings panel... I was surprise. I went the website and found that you have to download a dll and install it yourself. Later someone told me that if you push the button "check for updates" it would download the dll... but does it install it ? And anyway its not clear at all that you need to download a dll and that "check for updates" will do it ! You just think that clicking on a language is enough ! Its not that user friendly.

I think would be better that when you select a language the dll would be automatically downloaded and installed !
Also the Classic Shell installer should know which windows language you are set to and would install automatically the good dll !

This would be more user friendly !

thanks to all for such a great software and work !
Xenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Pressing "Check for updates" will check if there is a new DLL for your version. If there is one, a download link will appear and all you have to do is click it.
Classic Shell doesn't install anything automatically. First, it is rude to the user, and second, it wastes bandwidth on my server, which I'm paying for.

The auto-update feature is intended to work like you describe. If your computer is set to Swedish and you install Classic Shell, then you will get a notification that a new update is available for your language. You click on the notification, then click on the Download button, and you will have the file. The update is currently broken though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01 am 

I think two improvements can be made so it is more clear to the user.
1. It can check automatically if the Languages tab of the Settings dialog is opened. In that case, the user should directly see the text "New update for language xx-XX is available. Click here to install it".
2. The button should say "Download and install language updates" instead of "Check for updates". 1 click should be enough to check and install it too.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 am 

I see. Sound good to me ! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Checking automatically every time you open the settings will put extra stress on the server that hosts the update files. Same for downloading the files automatically.
The best I can do is reuse the existing version information from the last check.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 am 

Can't you do kind of random auto update check up ? So people would not auto update and auto install the dll in the same time ? May be it would be less stress for your server ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 am 
Site Admin

The update already happens at random time. But if it happens every time you open the settings dialog then it will still be quite frequent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 am 

oh! Ok I see... sound difficult...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 am 

Ah in that case it's best to not check every time the dialog opens. There will be too many unnecessary checks causing server overload.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 am 

Yeah, i also think not necessary to check the language version each time the settings panel is opened... The check should only occurs if the user go to the language panel... sound a bit better...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 am 

Well the wording can definitely be improved if not anything else. "Check for language updates" is less confusing than "Check for updates" which may incorrectly make the user believe that it's a button to check for Classic Shell updates.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Well, you are on the Language tab. Of course it means "language updates".
There is no room for anything longer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 pm 

Yes but that's exactly what I pointed out when this feature was introduced in beta in some older 4.x version - that the user is still likely to think that it's a Check for Classic Shell updates feature :) and that's exactly what happened. The user may never click on the button. IMHO it has room for improvement. Something that conveys to the user more clearly e.g. "Install language pack".

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

In the new version 4.1.0 the user doesn't have to click on the button as long as auto-update is enabled. The information will be refreshed after the initial install and every week after that.
The button doesn't install anything, so calling it "install" is wrong.