It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am 

Hello,

I would like to ask whether there is a way to remove a shell item that Classic Shell adds to Windows Explorer context menu- "Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)"from Classic Shell settings without modifying the registry manually?

I want to disable this entry- http://i62.tinypic.com/mj7ixj.png

It appears when I right-click on an executable file. Is there a way to remove it from Windows Explorer?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am 

In Classic Shell 4.0.4, there is a new hidden setting "DisablePinExt". Add a DWORD value of this name to either HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu. A value data of 1 hides the "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" context menu item. This hidden setting is present as a Group Policy setting too called 'Disable the Pin shell extension'.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 am 

@GauravK

Many thanks for your immediate response. Your tip worked!

Classic Shell is excellent, I wouldn't be able to use Windows 8 without it. Yet I think that for users who do not use "Pin to Start" feature it would be easier and handier if Classic Shell offered an option for enabling/disabling "Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)" item during installation.

I have one last question- if I export Classic Shell settings to a XML file, will this context menu item be affected (I suppose not).

Thank you for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am 

No this setting is not there in the Settings UI. You can instead export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu branch or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu branch (depending on whether you configured the policy/registry for single user or all users).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:00 am 

GauravK wrote:
In Classic Shell 4.0.4, there is a new hidden setting "DisablePinExt". Add a DWORD value of this name to either HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu. A value data of 1 hides the "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" context menu item. This hidden setting is present as a Group Policy setting too called 'Disable the Pin shell extension'.

I made the Registry Entry, but it had no effect (see attached picture)!?
I am using version 4.1.0.

What else can I do, to remove the "pin to start" entry from the start menu?

Attachments:
File comment: Correct?
Remove Pin to Start.JPG [215.97 KiB]
Downloaded 418 times
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Admin

First, if you are using version 4.1.0 or later you can just check the setting "Disable the Pin shell extension" in the Context Menu tab. No need to mess with the registry.

Second, the context menu command is called "An Startmenü anheften (Classic Shell)". The one you show belongs to Windows. Classic Shell has no control over it.